Worst pasty butt I've ever seen! Help!

MESOFRUFFEH

Songster
5 Years
Sep 15, 2015
East Texas
I rescued these chicks from Atwoods because I knew they were essentially on death row and no one else was gonna do anything about it. I got all the poop off, but what can I safely treat their severely raw rears with? They look so horrible!

I would thoroughly and gently coax all the yuck off under running lukewarm water, dry her off and apply triple antibiotic ointment (without the Caine/pain reliever) to the area. It will help with healing and hopefully prevent any more poo from sticking to the area. So glad you saved them. They wouldn't have made it in that condition for much longer. Good luck with dem babies.

I had some of this at work so I put it on their butts after I got them all cleaned off, their poor booty holes were cracked and bloody. Do you think I can put desiten on them or should I stick with antibiotic ointment? I dont have any here at work, just the aquaphor. So sad for them. Never seen such terrible pasty butt,seriously how long do you have to ignore it for it to get that bad?! The girl told me she didn't have time to clean them off. Um, so you're just gonna let them suffer and die? :mad: Idiots. I couldn't in good conscience leave them there to suffer . I didnt realize until after I got back to my office that they were silkies because at the time I was just worried about their poop balls, so that was just a bonus to rescuing them! One of them looked really ill, but maybe it was just because he was so plugged up? He is much better looking now. I hope they aren't sick!

Last edited:
And now they are some of my best layers!!!
well these are all silkies so I am hoping for some broody mamas out of the group lol! I also forgot to mention the stench was overwhelming. Is that normal for pasty butt? I'm just wondering what the cause of this was, was it environmental, or because they are sick.... did you use any probiotics or anything? I have some "chicken gatorade" mixed up at home, with some electrolytes and probiotics. Hoping that will help them.... never really dealt with pasty butt before!! Do you think they will be okay to be left at home while I am at work or will they paste up again? What did you do with yours? I have some wood pellets at home but that seems so uncomfortable!!!!

I just did a quick cleaning job on them for now since I am at work, but I guess later this evening I could clean their rears a little better, or maybe I should just put a bunch of vaseline on them and let it soften everything up overnight then clean it up better tomorrow? I hate to touch them more than needed, their rears are so tiny and blistered!!
hit.gif

I personally would use the antibiotic ointment if you can. They both look bad but the 2nd pic looks really infected. I know what you mean about these employees. I found a sick one with pasty but and alerted staff who just shrugged it off. I asked if they had a way of cleaning her up and they said "we don't do that here. You can have her if you want her." I could not believe it! I've also seen dead chick's being trampled in the same place. It's sickening and heartbreaking. My chick went downhill fast and a couple BYCers advised me to treat her for coccidiosis. I got some Corid 9.6 solution and treated her. She showed major improvement by the 2nd day and is one of my favorite, best laying hens today. Good luck with your little silkies and bless your heart for taking them in. :highfive:

I personally would use the antibiotic ointment if you can. They both look bad but the 2nd pic looks really infected. I know what you mean about these employees. I found a sick one with pasty but and alerted staff who just shrugged it off. I asked if they had a way of cleaning her up and they said "we don't do that here. You can have her if you want her." I could not believe it! I've also seen dead chick's being trampled in the same place. It's sickening and heartbreaking. My chick went downhill fast and a couple BYCers advised me to treat her for coccidiosis. I got some Corid 9.6 solution and treated her. She showed major improvement by the 2nd day and is one of my favorite, best laying hens today. Good luck with your little silkies and bless your heart for taking them in.
highfive.gif
Ok thank you!!! I will stick with antibiotic ointment. That 2nd pic was AFTER I got the poop off.... two of them look that bad the others look better. I don't have any antibiotics tho, so i guess the ointment would be my only line of defense in that regard. That one poop ball pic was not even the worst one... it was so bad! I couldn't NOT get them! I can't stand to see anything suffer!! I really wanted to be like um can I please have a discount for your defective chickens? because I wasn't sure two of them were going to make it, but they bounced back pretty good after the poop ball was removed and they took a few good dumps. I can only imagine how that had to have felt for them. It was worth the $3 a piece to have the peace of mind that they weren't suffering lol, even tho I am broke as a joke right now haha. I certainly did NOT go in there to buy more chickens. I currently have about 30 chicks at home! I feel a little better hearing they make good improvements in just a few days. I am hoping the poop balls didn't cause any long term damage??

Thank you so much everyone for suggestions and encouragement!! I wasn't really sure what to do other than clean off their poop balls, and I have never seen one with such a terrible looking rear afterwards!

I was just going through the thread again and noticed one of your posts mentioned a horrible odor. I'm wondering if babies can get vent gleet? I had read about it once and the smell thing stands out.

Back
Top Bottom