Worst rooster ever....

Mvan42

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 15, 2019
Garrett County, Maryland
Ok so our rooster is a year old. We have 6 hens who are the same age of a month younger. And 8 chicks hatched in April.

So this spring our rooster who was so afraid of us started attacking me. I had done nothing but open the coop door let them out and when I turned to check for eggs well he attacked.. And it began every chance he got he attacked me and only me. (This is going to sound bad) I had a metal bucket one of those small ones you get at tractor supply. I hit him with it on one of his days he decided to attack. Well he doesn't mess with me anymore. He has moved on to my husband. He has bothered the kids some to but not alot.

The plan is to take him to the local animal auction and buy a new one or keep one of the smaller ones if one is a roo.
Is this wrong to sale a rooster who acts this way he is pretty and I hate the idea to cull him.
Another question the chick I think may be a roo is one of his babies. Is there a chance it will be mean also?

Have you tried training him? I've read about a few methods, and one is to catch him and hold him upside down in front of his hens to embarrass him. I've also read about a nicer approach where you tuck him under your arm (right side up lol) and walk around until he's calm and relaxed. I would personally try bribing him with mealworms or superworms before gathering eggs and when he's being well behaved.

Beekissed has an excellent article about retraining difficult roosters; look it up.
With children involved, it's not worth the risk. He needs to be dinner for someone.
At the auction, or where ever you decide to rehome him, it should only be with full disclosure. What if he tears a child's face up? Destroys an eyeball?
I think that nasty roosters need to be invited to dinner, not sent off for someone else to have. Only move him on for dinner!
There are many polite roosters out there, much nicer to have around.
My first rooster was a total beast, and we learned; nice birds have homes, and jerks taste great.
Mary

I've had many aggressive roosters in the past.. culling may be the easiest method but training is worth a shot. Not saying people who suggest culling are wrong.. maybe give him a few weeks of training.. if all else fails then it's up to you

to catch him and hold him upside down in front of his hens to embarrass him.
Please don’t do this. Holding a bird upside down is not the way to “train” them to be nice. And furthermore, I’m not sure chickens can feel emotions such as embarrassment. I think he may feel the emotion of being pissed off more than anything, which will not help your problem.
nice birds have homes, and jerks taste great.
Nice birds vs the jerks: I finally found a nice rooster in the thirteenth one. Keep trying. It’s worth it. Don’t jeopardize your family or anyone else’s with a human aggressive rooster. Remembering how mean he was to you will make him taste that much better. Trust me on this one.

Thanks for the advice. thank for the advice. I have carried him aroun he doesn’t care. I don’t think he would extremely hurt anyone. Hubs wants to eat him I am a softy once a animal is more like a pet I refuse to eat them. Lol. I have always been this way. It just makes me mad when he does this we have had him since he was two months old..

20190313_180856.jpg
And he is pretty... lol. Here he is..

Thanks for the advice. thank for the advice. I have carried him aroun he doesn’t care. I don’t think he would extremely hurt anyone. Hubs wants to eat him I am a softy once a animal is more like a pet I refuse to eat them. Lol. I have always been this way. It just makes me mad when he does this we have had him since he was two months old..
I completely understand. I was in your shoes not too many months ago. I wanted a Welsummer rooster and nothing was gonna stop me from having one. Well, as it turned out, nothing but the rooster himself. I gave that bird every benefit of doubt one could possibly have given, but time and time again he proved to me that he was not worthy to live on my farm. Yes, he was gor-geous! Yes, he was so good to the girls! But, I had to watch my back e-ver-y single moment I was outside. And that wasn’t easy when the majority of my day was spent working or piddling outside. This beautiful boy would track me all over the place and freaking appear out of nowhere. Literally! Once his eyes were set on me he no longer was taking care of the girls.

Yes, I did try everything mentioned in all the “bad rooster” threads. I really wanted that particular one to be my forever rooster.

Finally I penned him up in his own run and occasionally would let him out with the girls. Usually these were the days I knew I wouldn’t be outside a lot.

The “straw that broke the camel’s back,” so to speak, was when I noticed him one day, lame on one leg...couldn’t walk, couldn’t even stand on it. I went into his run and picked him up and put him in my little prefab coop/run that I use for injured birds, broodies and chicks, or chicks for integration. He had food, water and fresh pine shavings to bed down in. And he was inside my big run now, closer to all the girls. I began dosing him with metacam I got from the vet. Four daily doses is all he got because on that fifth day, when I reached in for him, he bit my hand and gave me the nastiest bite wound on my knuckles. He laid my skin wide open. So much so I probably could have used stitches, but I just doctored it myself, and it took forever to heal.

Some will say I should have used gloves to retrieve him, but I didn’t. I mean after all, I was working with a chicken, not a raptor.

But that incident made me realize what damage he could inflict without really trying. Just imagine what he could have done! He got to leave his run one more time and he never returned. And as beautiful as he was, he tasted even better.

Please don’t let your “softness” interfere with staying safe.

I really like my cockerels, and my roosters, BUT, they are the good ones! I used to try to reform the idiots, and got nowhere truly safe with any of them. Then 'three strikes and you're out', then, 'one hit is one too many'!
When he's stalking you, he's not taking care of his ladies in any way. He's being stupid, and dangerous to the wrong target. And this is both a management issue, and a genetic, inherited trait. Nice roosters come from flocks where human aggressive cockerels are not allowed to reproduce!
Polite roosters are beautiful too!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom