Worst rooster ever....

I really like my cockerels, and my roosters, BUT, they are the good ones! I used to try to reform the idiots, and got nowhere truly safe with any of them. Then 'three strikes and you're out', then, 'one hit is one too many'!
When he's stalking you, he's not taking care of his ladies in any way. He's being stupid, and dangerous to the wrong target. And this is both a management issue, and a genetic, inherited trait. Nice roosters come from flocks where human aggressive cockerels are not allowed to reproduce!
Polite roosters are beautiful too!
Mary
X's 2 here, couldn't say it better! Mean roosters beget more mean roosters. Bite the hand that feeds you, not only mean but stupid! Stupid roosters beget (well, you know)... If you had ever had a truly decent rooster and realized what a friend they can be, you would never consider putting up with a bad one, not even for a day.

X's 2 here, couldn't say it better! Mean roosters beget more mean roosters. Bite the hand that feeds you, not only mean but stupid! Stupid roosters beget (well, you know)... If you had ever had a truly decent rooster and realized what a friend they can be, you would never consider putting up with a bad one, not even for a day.

Amen to that. Plus- as the OP has kids in the picture- kids tend to enjoy having their friends over. Risking an attack on someone else's kids (never mind your own) --- no. Also wouldn't rehome him except to someone planning on making him dinner.

Beekissed has an excellent article about retraining difficult roosters; look it up.
With children involved, it's not worth the risk. He needs to be dinner for someone.
At the auction, or where ever you decide to rehome him, it should only be with full disclosure. What if he tears a child's face up? Destroys an eyeball?
I think that nasty roosters need to be invited to dinner, not sent off for someone else to have. Only move him on for dinner!
There are many polite roosters out there, much nicer to have around.
My first rooster was a total beast, and we learned; nice birds have homes, and jerks taste great.
Mary
The meaner the Roo,
the sweeter the Stew!
:drool

I hate to be mean, but I find this method hilarious. Embarrass him, I’m dying :lol::lol::lol:

I haven't needed to train a roo yet, though. The silkie I used to have was skittish, but not aggressive, and my current serama cockrel seems to have bonded with me. We'll see how his personality changes as he gets older

Edit: okay this is like my 3rd edit. I give up on fixing my typos lol

Last edited:
Lol yeah and I've heard it works and doesn't really hurt him, but he probably won't feel any more friendly though :rolleyes:

I haven't needed to train a roo yet, though. The silkie I used to have was skittish, but not aggressive, and my current serama cockrel seems to have bonded with me. We'll see how his personality changes as he gets older

Edit: okay this is like my 3rd edit. I give up on fixing my typos lol
It may or may not work, but it certainly can hurt them. You shouldn't hold them upside down because they can aspirate. Someone with more knowledge can probably lay some input on what else it can do.

I'd try to train him unless you've got children he may injure and you don't have a choice.

It may or may not work, but it certainly can hurt them. You shouldn't hold them upside down because they can aspirate. Someone with more knowledge can probably lay some input on what else it can do.

I'd try to train him unless you've got children he may injure and you don't have a choice.
For real? I should prolly delete that part

Hmm. My elder roo, Mike, a Barred Rock, has started showing aggression to me recently. His son, a yearling, seems very nice for a lonely bachelor ... and there are at least 3 cockerels among my 3-month old chicklets. Mike's too tough for dumplings but he'll make tasty stock.

Back
Top Bottom