Worth dubbing?

Dubbing is controversial, I've seen it done all my life (dubbing hundreds of birds a year..) and have only experienced "maybe" 3-4 roosters who showed any signs of pain. And that is because we used dull scissors.. With sharp ones, they don't even show it affecting them. Does it hurt? I would say probably if not properly done, if done correctly it is hard to say since they don't act like it. But I've heard of people cauterizing wounds on the comb with heated up rods, and the birds didn't even move (believe one time heard it even clucked during it?).. If that doesn't get some movement out of them, I don't know what would.

Is the hens comb flopped over? Looks kind of like a rose comb.

-Daniel

The hen does have a rosecomb, I don't think she's full blooded. I didn't know if they came that way. They aren't siblings, just bought the pair
smile.png

If you want to show him you have to dumb him. I would try to find some one who has done it before to help or show you how. Its not that hard, but you want it to turn out looking good.
She should not have a rose comb and I wouldn't breed or show her

Quote:
She's not even laying. I don't sell eggs so it's not a big deal. I'll keep her and maybe get some purebred hens for him too. If nothing else I have 2 black rosecomb hens she can go in with.

I think some shows actually offer non-dubbed classes and I dont think judges are minding them natural, you might like to check that out.. more and more are showing up al, la natural..

ABA or APA sanctioned shows don't offer non dubbed classes. It's not a question of what judges mind, it's a disqualification to show an undubbed OEGB cock. If a judge were to place one someone would certainly post a challenge & it would be upheld. I can't imagine a judge who would make that obvious a mistake.
As to the bird pictured here his wing carraige is way too low & it appears his wing bar lacks definition. Tail angle looks much higher than 45 degrees.​

NYREDS said it best. The back has no definition and the angle is much higher than 45 degrees. I would not breed from him because of those traits,but if I was going to keep him I would dubb him. I dont keep a cock on my place that is not dubbed except for a few female line breeders.

It depends on where you plan to show him. At a local fair he may do OK. Those shows are often "judged" by non licensed judges. At any sanctioned show he would not do well & would be disqualified if entered as a cock. If he's less than a year old he can be shown as a cockerel & would not need to be dubbed but he still has defects.

I would not consider either of these birds Show Worthy in type or color. They both look like they are crossed with Seramas or Sebrights.
The ABA and APA does allow first year males to be shown undubbed before November 1st.
The first rule of dubbing is to wait till the sickles are fully developed, next for me is to do it on a very cool night.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom