Would a chicks butt look like this after being cleaned for pasty butt?

P.S. My pasty-butt chick all grown up:

7944648-e8fadaf6e00b3db1f7eedc79c2fdf36a.jpg

Unless something changes or the runny poop is due to a problem, time and observation is probably all that's necessary.

I was just looking at his vent. Sticks out very far! Will that fix itself with development? Or is that normal just looks different with no feathers. I've never had a bare chicken butt before.

The causes of a swollen vent on a new chick are constipation and careless rubbing of the delicate tissue when cleaning pasty butt. Put a little cortisone cream on the vent. It will soothe the pain (yes it hurts) and reduce swelling.

Hogging the heat is a symptom of failure to thrive. These chicks often have undeveloped organs and don't process nutrients efficiently. They are always cold, therefore they seek heat.

To firm up the stools, boil some rice and then puree it in a blender. You can mix a little applesauce in it. Let all the chicks eat it as it will stimulate this chick to eat. Serve tepid or warm, not cold.

I watched the brooder for a while. Looks like I have two that have this issue. They are both running around in the brooder box this morning eating, drinking, and flicking flakes everywhere. I applied cortisone cream to their little bald spots. I'm shocked with how many birds I have in there, that no one is pecking their little tushies. A bunch of these chicks are leaving tomorrow so they'll only be in the slightly crowded brooder for one more day.

I contacted the farmer and she said she always checks for pasty butt and cleans them and offered to exchange them. I don't feel like that's the right thing to do. I plan on nursing them back to a good condition. I'm hoping the only reason for their bald spot is accidental less-than-delicate grooming and they'll recover quickly.

I gave everybody a little bit of scrambled eggs last night. Some of them ate it, some of them didn't. It was the first time these chicks had them. This is more for a little pick me up for everybody. Before I do the rice and applesauce, I'll observe for a few days to see if their stool goes back to normal. I don't want to cause any constipation issues.

Cortisone won't do anything for missing down. That is not an issue as down can be either abundant or sparse according to the individual, and it's a very temporary and benign thing. Concentrate on the vent that may be sore and swollen. You know, the hole the poop comes out of.

Cortisone is a steroid and acts on swollen inflamed tissue.

Any food you give new chicks has to be finely minced or rendered liquid. Their beaks are much too small and weak to handle any larger particles.

For example, a hard boiled egg has to be cut into tiny, tiny, tiny bits for the chicks to be interested in. Larger bits they will ignore as they can't get them into their beak. Sort of like expecting a toddler to tackle a whole T-bone steak without cutting it up.

Back
Top Bottom