Would a hawk kill a full size chicken?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by arianna, Jan 11, 2011.

1. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have Bantams and I keep them in a covered run. I learned my lesson in the hard way for I’ve lost a beautiful Silver Seabright and a sweet Mille du Fleur D’Uncle to a hawk, but my neighbor wants to get few full size Brahma, Cochins and RR and keep them free range in her back yard. Would a hawk attack a large chicken? Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm guessing that you are asking about a hawk, and yes several varieties of hawks will kill standard sized chickens. They are unable to fly off with the chickens, but will eat them where they kill them.

3. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    I thought Bruce Banner was a vegetarian? or are you talking about she hulk? [​IMG]

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:[​IMG]
    ETA - I guess it would depend on if the chicken ticked him off? [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I can assure you that a hawk can kill a large chicken. I just had it happen to one of my four year old 9lb Barred Rock hens early last week. We had just returned from grocery shopping and I saw the hawk fly off my dead hen. The hawk ate most of the meaty parts and innards, feathers everywhere.

6. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    only if it made him mad....you wouldn't like him when he's mad.
    Now a hawk, they will take a full size chicken. It's comforting to see my rooster herding everyone under cover when he hears a hawk while out free ranging.

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

A hawk killed but could not carry one of my SLW when I used to free range- lesson learned...

8. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    [​IMG][​IMG] LOL I JUST NOW REALISED THAT I WROTE HULK INSTEAD OF HAWK. I should have double check what I write before I post it.[​IMG] How embarrassing [​IMG]
    I think Hulk wouldn't have any problem eating a full size chicken..... or two [​IMG]

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:That was the best giggle all day! Don't be embarrassed at all! Having tried to learn 2 other languages I know firsthand how it can be. Where are you from?

And back on topic, yes, hawks can and do kill chickens regularly. Of all sizes. What they can't carry they eat on the ground.

10. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    As others have already answered, yes! We had a Bald Eagle get one of our very large Swedish ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by