Would a Hawk Kill A Kitten And Leave it?

dieselgrl48

Songster
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
Virginia
Well the last couple of week's sure hasn't been great for me.I lost all those young chick's in one coop due to Rat's We Gather.Put poision out for them.Now the last week or so darn hawk's are bomabrding Us.I think one flew right into horse stall sat. Where my 2 broody hen's with 11 babie's were.2 Chick's were missing and a big tuft of black feather's from apparently one of my sexlink hen's.All of the hen's were accounted for.
barnie.gif
Well I went up this morn and let the layer's out.I went back about an hour later for egg's.I hadnt went in coop at first.Well One black hen was laying against wall and had a huge hole in her chest.I'm thinking now maybe that hawk had gotten the feathers from her and maybe had chewed on her. I feeeel SOOOOOO bad cause They all seemed fine.Maybe I could have saved her if I had checked every bird .Or at least put her down and she maybe wouldnt have suffered if she was damaged that bad.
hit.gif
. Yesterday eve My silkie had her 4 remaining babies side of house under box wood's.She had 2 silk's and 2 OEGB's she had hatched.Hubby was already waiting with gun when we heard peeping.We spotted 2 on sunday evening circling the lower yard.The hawk came right in yard and he said he's got one ( bird).We watched the hawk following along creek It landed and We looked all over but no sign of chick.Today One of my daughter's 2-3 month old kitten's didnt show up for food.Finaly I got worried and started looking around house.
he.gif
. I found her dead in the front yard underneath cedar tree.She didn't appear to be chewed or anything just lying there. They are fairly light kitten's and I know hawk's are known for take off with rabbit's etc.Im wondering if neighbor's dog spooked it off before it got away with it.Anyway the poor kitten is dead and daughter is heartbroken. Im getting to where Im afraid to go out what Im going to find next ....
hit.gif
hit.gif

We lost kittens a lot when I was young. I would find parts of kittens.
hit.gif
So sad. It was hard for me, I was just a little girl. I will never forget it. My daddy said it was owls. We had game roosters and always had owl problems. Poor baby kitties.

As far as the bird with the hole in her breast, I think it is a possum. The others that are missing could be a fox, coyote or if they are small enough to carry away a hawk. As for the kitten...do you think it could have gotten into the rat posion? Just a thought....

I'm really sorry for your losses. I hope you figure it out soon.

Quote:
Did you know that tomcats will kill kittens? They want to eliminate the progeny from other toms, and bring the queen back into heat for themselves.

If there are no marks on the poor little kitty it probably got into the rat poison or ate a mouse or rat that had eaten the poison.

So sorry for your daughter' loss of a beloved pet. And for the chicks/hens that you have lost.

Quote:
Did you know that tomcats will kill kittens? They want to eliminate the progeny from other toms, and bring the queen back into heat for themselves.

Dang. I never thought of that.

Yes a hawk will kill and/or carry off a kitten, small cats, small dogs, and other small animals. However I think if a hawk was responsible for killing the kitten, there would be marks on it and some indication of being eatten. With no marks, I would guess it was poisoned or died from some sort of sickness. I am sorry for your daughter's loss
hugs.gif
for her and I am sorry for your chicken loss
hugs.gif
for you too!!

hugs.gif
having the same problems with the hawks! got 2 of my chicks, caught one in the moment in my yard.
I dont have a large yard, but now the yard is under nets. First Racoons, then a Skunk (it sprayed my boxer) and now the Darn hawks!

Quote:
That's what I was thinking...setting out poison is too dangerous for other critters. It just isn't worth it.

As far as the kitten...I want to tell you a story that freaked me out. Our 2 month old kitten was playing in a harmless plant in the house...my 7 year old daughter got it out, put it in the cat box, then brought it over to its food dish. She thought it might be hungry...She came into the den a few minutes later and said the cat wasn't moving. I said, it's probably tired because you are always holding it, playing with it, so it needs to crash. She came in one more time, and said it was not right. Just as I was going to check, my husband came home and met me halfway in the house. He said...honey...the kitten is dead! What?!?
hit.gif
We called our vet, and were told over the phone she could have had internal bleeding or had a heart attack...as those are common in kittens! I had no idea...I've had cats and plenty of kittens growing up, and none ended up that way. (I might add, my daughter is very gentle with her animals.)

So I am putting that out there...maybe it wasn't a predator. What I've seen from hawks is they pierce their talons into their prey...with incredible pounds of pressure. A tom cat would not kill a kitten without leaving a mark. Poison or something internal is my guess.

Sorry for your losses.
sad.png

No I don't think was poision.The Only place We set the block's for the rat's was in the lower level of the coop where the babie's got killed.The upper half is coop part so no way cat got there.It Has 2 door's one inside full wooden one and a screened outside.No way for dog or kitties to get in there.I have been re checking every few days and no more have been eaten since We got the dead rat's last week.The kitten was fine the day before.My daughter decided she wanted t creamate the cat instead of burying her.She was holding the body until today until she decided.With the coyote's and stuff here too she said would be better just to do that and not have to think about the rest of the predators digging her up.
hit.gif
. We took my hen and the cat to our area.Rest In Peace Our friend's.We will miss you.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom