Would a Rat Terrier become a predator?

Same with dacshounds I'm afraid.I have one named Buddy. They are natural born hunters from mice to rabbits to chickens I hate to say. I've lost one or two hens over the years when one flew up surprised or got scared while being moved. The dog was on it in lighting speed and does not give it up.
Buddy, he is the sweetest most loving dog I've ever had BUT he is the alpha male in the house over the other much larger dogs.
Some folks tell me that they can get their dacshounds to sit and stay when around chickens - but it's never worked for Buddy .
He has to be put inside when we move the girls around the pens. we've been successful training all our other farm dogs to leave the birds alone...they'll watch 'em and then trot away to sleep of sniff.

I have a rat terrier that is mixxed with pmeranian! He loves to give rabbits and squirrels a chase and he's fast. But he has never went after the chickens. I have never allowed it. This dog should be young enough to train, but I don't have a purebred to see how driiven they are. Every dog is going to try and be dominant if they can get away with it. Don't they watch the Dog Whisperer!!!

my friend has 2 rat terriers, they are the best behaved dogs ever. They were raised right, from the get go.......
my other "friend" has jack russels.... kills chickens/rabbits/whatever, any chance they get. I know they are not the same breed, but close. Terriers are bred to hunt and kill, and they do it well. I know I would not have one, just because I'm not a terrier person. But, I do have chinese cresteds, and they are a sighthound.......and they are 100% trustworth around my chickens. A lot of working with them when they were little, but well worth it. I say, go for it, and just be diligent with the training. Who knows, you may get a really nice dog out of it.
smile.png

Quote:
I would totally disagree with this! Both of the rat terrier's I had/have are awesome with my kids, the neighbors kids, hell even kids they do not know. It is all about the raising and training of these dogs.

edited to add: not trying to start a debate, just giving my personal "experianced" opinion.......

Last edited:
My rat terrier is great with kids.

People are saying train them from the beginning and you shouldn't have a problem, but sometimes I don't think any amount of training can overcome the instinct that they were born with. Mine has been around my chickens since she was 6 weeks old and she's now 8+ years old. She has been trained since the first day home that the chickens are off limits and she knows it, but the first chance she gets she's after them. If I'm there and tell her no she stops, but if I'm not she'd be on them in a second. So I don't think you can count on training to stop them.

Back
Top Bottom