Would a rooster remember a certain person who was aggressive?

My roo never bothered me when I wore my flip flops. Now that the weather is colder I'm wearing snow boots and a winter coat. He runs at me almost daily now. Ive been making it a point to pick him up daily the past couple of days and it seems to have helped because hes recognising me now. Sometimes just a different combination of clothing can make them say "whoa different = danger"

Cockerels, and every chicken , can easily memorise a human face. They will associate them with fear or trauma, and be scared of/defensive and aggressive towards that human- or with food and care, and come running for pets and treats.
Wherever you can, prevent a child from hurting or scaring an otherwise harmless roo.

Hope that helps @Silkielee!
Theyve done studies with crows in which the scientists actually had to wear masks so the birds wouldnt attack them after they were released. Birds have excellent memory

I have one that needs a specific schedule (same one I have to make arrangements for). I have to use a watering can cause he doesn't like our big jugs and I have to talk to him before I open the stall door so I don't surprise him. I also usually need to interact with him (petting and holding. He was an actual pet before I got him so once he's not on guard he really likes companionship)

Theyve done studies with crows in which the scientists actually had to wear masks so the birds wouldnt attack them after they were released. Birds have excellent memory

Awful to do that to crows. We should not torture animals to find out how their brains work.
But you are 100% right, they have very good memories, and fear/trauma imprints especially.

Awful to do that to crows. We should not torture animals to find out how their brains work.
But you are 100% right, they have very good memories, and fear/trauma imprints especially.
I agree wholeheartedly. But in playing devils advocate you're not gonna get a wild animal to agree to be studied. I saw one study in which they had to wear masks in which they taught a crow to differentiate weight distribution to get a treat. The point is they associate us as a captor and not as a friend. I think it would be better if they did the studies on domesticated chickens instead but the scientific community understands that people dont like to admit their food is intelligent

I know.
You are totally right....
But people are so cruel to them.
One memory test on rats included them being literally tortured while smelling a certain scent, just so the scientists could see their reaction to the scent again.
The poor things were terrified, of course... :mad:
I know that's not strictly on subject, but I have no doubt they do it too birds too... What is wrong with some people?!
Anyway, ignore me so I don't rant.... this is not an animal-cruelty thread!

I know.
You are totally right....
But people are so cruel to them.
One memory test on rats included them being literally tortured while smelling a certain scent, just so the scientists could see their reaction to the scent again.
The poor things were terrified, of course... :mad:
I know that's not strictly on subject, but I have no doubt they do it too birds too... What is wrong with some people?!
Anyway, ignore me so I don't rant.... this is not an animal-cruelty thread!
Stuff like that gives good reason to why some of us prefer the company of our chickens:wee

My roo never bothered me when I wore my flip flops. Now that the weather is colder I'm wearing snow boots and a winter coat. He runs at me almost daily now. Ive been making it a point to pick him up daily the past couple of days and it seems to have helped because hes recognising me now. Sometimes just a different combination of clothing can make them say "whoa different = danger"
Yep for sure, wearing different clothes to your norm can set off a rooster, I wore a bright colour skirt and my roo did not like that! ...after a few times wearing it though he got use to it and didnt get alarmed anymore. I just say my usual greeting when I see them and they know who's coming :) ..I don't think they like change. Maybe they are jealous they can't wear a dress? Or change colours? ..I wonder how they would react if I dyed one of my white hens purple?

Yep for sure, wearing different clothes to your norm can set off a rooster, I wore a bright colour skirt and my roo did not like that! ...after a few times wearing it though he got use to it and didnt get alarmed anymore. I just say my usual greeting when I see them and they know who's coming :) ..I don't think they like change. Maybe they are jealous they can't wear a dress? Or change colours? ..I wonder how they would react if I dyed one of my white hens purple?
While that is a funny sentiment it boils down to a fear of the unknown. If something is different it could be a monster...better attack it before it gets my girls!

Back
Top Bottom