Would a rooster remember a certain person who was aggressive?

Pics
..maybe I'll just attempt some handyman work myself and he won't have to go in the coop :hmm .. I tried drilling the pop door on and it keeps coming off :( I was going to have him put a proper door on my coop (it's just an old piece of pallet at mo).. I'll have to put the pop door in a diff location anyway since it won't go on the screen metal door I have.

..maybe I'll just attempt some handyman work myself and he won't have to go in the coop :hmm .. I tried drilling the pop door on and it keeps coming off :( I was going to have him put a proper door on my coop (it's just an old piece of pallet at mo).. I'll have to put the pop door in a diff location anyway since it won't go on the screen metal door I have.
... Also just wondering, my cockerel was looking on (behind the fence), so will he also be on attack mode if he sees this man? Or he won't remember him since it wasn't him under attack?
If you need the help, crate up or isolate the cock/erels when the guy comes to do the work.

I've had cock/erels react strongly to strangers coming around,
one went bonkers and the person did nothing to physically antagonize the bird.
Birds were confined so no injuries or 'fights'.
Every persons demeanor is different, animals react to humans fears/anxiety,
and every bird is different.

We have 2 Roos and the black giant suddenly jumped at me as I was walking away. I chased him into the coop. Ever since then he’s been aggressive towards me but not my husband who makes a habit of picking him up and cradling him. He definitely knows me and will charge me. He’s got to go! The other too will join him but doesn’t seem to begin the aggression. I’m disappointed that he’s so mean but he’s gotta go. Anyone want him? 😀

Yes they can. Every bird is different. Our long time guard rooster George challenged myself and my dad however both of us gave him a good strong boot when he did and he never tried again. And was always pleasant arround us.
My mother on the other hand was scared of him and would scream and yell at him if he so much as looked in her direction and chase him with a broom or plastic bags and he would ALWAYS come at her pant legs and futterbocken every night when she came home from the car to the front door 😂

So.

This man will be back in the chicken area to help with coop renos.... Maybe I'll just have Roo outside coop area at that time to be safe.
So it was an adult man who was antagonistic towards your roo? Was this person a relative or hired help? If hired help I’d not have him back.

Would a rooster remember a person who was mean / aggressive / pestering him?
And then next time rooster sees that person will alarm and attack? Or would rooster be calm until that same person showed aggressive behavior?
Or could this rooster associate this certain person with all humans and start being aggressive towards all humans?
Rooster has acted normal towards me since this happened but I'm worried about any other person esp children who come into the chicken area. .. Also that person may come back but not be aggressive towards rooster so is it likely rooster will try to attack him whether or not this person acts aggressive?
Hope that all makes sense!!? :hmm
View attachment 2430535

Would a rooster remember a person who was mean / aggressive / pestering him?
And then next time rooster sees that person will alarm and attack? Or would rooster be calm until that same person showed aggressive behavior?
Or could this rooster associate this certain person with all humans and start being aggressive towards all humans?
Rooster has acted normal towards me since this happened but I'm worried about any other person esp children who come into the chicken area. .. Also that person may come back but not be aggressive towards rooster so is it likely rooster will try to attack him whether or not this person acts aggressive?
Hope that all makes sense!!? :hmm
View attachment 2430535
Dogs do so why wouldn't chickens..? On the other hand. A neighbor walked in with Carhartt's with zip up legs unzipped.. Sure those boots and unzipped legs looked like wings and a challenge.. Rooster went nuts.. and ever since set out to challenge and spur anyone and everyone.. My grand kids don't help poking at him with sticks through the fence.. Once tossed a five gallon bucket over his head and he had an epiphany.. Though he still acts up, but as of late. He has been no issue.. His sons chase him off.. We'll see in spring, that is when he is most aggressive. Have threatened him with the stew pot. Don't think he believes me.. He is a Banty.. and all the stories are true. Too small for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom