Would a saddle help her?

3chickchicks

Songster
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013
N. Texas
I have an injured bird with wounds on her back and along side her tail with a strip where she was de-feathered. I want to put her back with the flock ASAP. I've been giving her an hour or two with the flock daily so they remember her.
However, Blu-kote has not completely deterred pecking. I don't think it's severe pecking because of wounds but more like "Something looks funny" type pecking. She still needs a few more days for the wounds to dry up a bit so flies won't be a problem plus she still acts a bit tired. I don't want to apply swat to her again because it was such a mess!

So, I was going to make a saddle that's a little bit longer which will cover the area. Or will a saddle just attract more attention and get her pecked more?

Kelsie2290

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Ohio
Is there any way you can put her in the coop but keep her separated from the rest instead? Caged etc? I am always really leery about putting birds with wounds back in a flock, if somebody starts picking on her you can have a real mess really fast if you aren't there to stop it. Some chickens don't mind saddles, some are freaked out by them, and have had a few who think it is their job to remove them.

3chickchicks

Songster
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013
N. Texas
Is there any way you can put her in the coop but keep her separated from the rest instead? Caged etc? I am always really leery about putting birds with wounds back in a flock, if somebody starts picking on her you can have a real mess really fast if you aren't there to stop it. Some chickens don't mind saddles, some are freaked out by them, and have had a few who think it is their job to remove them.

I guess I could make one and watch them. I'd be able to make it specific to her body.
It seems like it's more of her having a bare spot (read: "looking funny") than the actual wounds that is causing the pecking.

I read about a duct tape saddle but I need to be able to monitor her progress.

Top Bottom