Would a saddle help her?

3chickchicks

Songster
9 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Utah
I have an injured bird with wounds on her back and along side her tail with a strip where she was de-feathered. I want to put her back with the flock ASAP. I've been giving her an hour or two with the flock daily so they remember her.
However, Blu-kote has not completely deterred pecking. I don't think it's severe pecking because of wounds but more like "Something looks funny" type pecking. She still needs a few more days for the wounds to dry up a bit so flies won't be a problem plus she still acts a bit tired. I don't want to apply swat to her again because it was such a mess!

So, I was going to make a saddle that's a little bit longer which will cover the area. Or will a saddle just attract more attention and get her pecked more?

Is there any way you can put her in the coop but keep her separated from the rest instead? Caged etc? I am always really leery about putting birds with wounds back in a flock, if somebody starts picking on her you can have a real mess really fast if you aren't there to stop it. Some chickens don't mind saddles, some are freaked out by them, and have had a few who think it is their job to remove them.

Is there any way you can put her in the coop but keep her separated from the rest instead? Caged etc? I am always really leery about putting birds with wounds back in a flock, if somebody starts picking on her you can have a real mess really fast if you aren't there to stop it. Some chickens don't mind saddles, some are freaked out by them, and have had a few who think it is their job to remove them.

I guess I could make one and watch them. I'd be able to make it specific to her body.
It seems like it's more of her having a bare spot (read: "looking funny") than the actual wounds that is causing the pecking.

I read about a duct tape saddle but I need to be able to monitor her progress.

Back
Top Bottom