Would a spreadsheet for ratings record be better off-site?

Cara has some valid questions, I'd love to see answers to. Also I don't think phone numbers should be posted.

I belong to a website called Daves Garden. They have what is called the Garden Watchdog, in which vendors are rated by people who have purchased from them. I really like this system, as you can describe your experience as a buyer, but if you give them a neutral or a negative, the seller has a chance to respond, so its easy to see both sides. It also give the buyer a chance to change their negative to a positive if the issue is resolved to their satisfaction. Here is an example of one vendor, of which I had purchased plants from:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2462/

Ooooh! I forgot about Dave's Garden!

I'll go back and look at it. If Nifty is working on a solution, perhaps I should fold it up and put it away...

I set it up to notify if a change was made other than an addition, but it's definitely not the best solution.

I'll leave this thread and leave the spreadsheet up for now just for the sake of dialogue and it bringing up folks' ideas, and perhaps that will be of help to Nifty!!
frow.gif

Thanks for the great discussion everyone!

We definitely know how needed it is to have a feedback system for good and bad experiences for sellers and buyers.

We'd leverage a lot of learnings from other systems including the fact that for validation purposes the person posting the feedback must be willing to tie their username to the feedback. This helps ensure the feedback is valid and when you see who is giving the feedback it helps to give context of that feedback.

We've been beta testing a feedback system discussed https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=156407.

The link to post feedback:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cGN6NmFDX2tsWEpEVEU4SDAxaFItUkE6MA..

The link to view feedback:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pcz6aC_klXJDTE8H01hR-RA

We'd like to tweak this to where it is something that is used and really helpful then integrate it into the forum.

Nifty-
What about transactions that didnt take place when they were suppose to? Not just for those who have paid and have/have not recieved something.

For example:

Person A post that they have *certain chicks* for sale.

Person B PMs the person and says they will take them and consider them sold. When can I come get them?

BUT Person A never follows through with deal. Keeps making excuses and is then caught in a lie about it.

What then? Can we also post feedback for that as well. I know some things do come up and for whatever reason people have to back out of a transaction, BUT to be caught in a lie NUMEROUS times isnt that also saying something about a persons character? Or is this feedback for only people who have paid for whatever transaction and the the outcome from that be good/bad?

Is it weird but I worry when I see a seller that has only been a part of this community for a short period of time OR they only come on her simply to sell.

Does anyone else feel that way.

So far, I've been VERY blessed.

I'm the type that would check and double check a sellers reputation (even PM a few others who purchased from them) before buying something. I (wrongly) assume everyone would do that, but they don't, which is why we've seen a huge influx of reports and problems.

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming!

Mahonri, I agree with you completely. When it comes to buying and selling, it feels better to buy from someone who has been posting here for longer (says the person with only 100 posts). This spreadsheet would be very nice too, however, I would recommend having to sign in through BYC to make comments. That way the seller can't give themselves lots of positive feedback.

Other (very minor) comment is on the rating system. People typically think of 1 as being the best and 5 being the worst, at least I do. Maybe consider switching these numbers around?? Or go to a 1-10 scale, where 10 is best? I don't know, but I thought that the people on there had lots of bad feedback already... oops. Maybe it's just me....

Last edited:
I feel the same way. Ive been looking for BCMs and have seen a few posts where someone is selling 'so called' Bev or Wade lines. Then I see that the person has just joined and only 2 or three posts. I am wery of these people and dont buy. Im so afraid that they are just trying to make a quick buck and then not send anything. And if they do, its not up to what they claim.

I wish I could say the same Mahonri, but Ive had a few "bad apples'. But I keep going.
cool.png

ETA: I do check with other sellers. I go back and look at the sellers posts they've made and then look at who responded to them and bought. Then I will check that persons posts and see what they have to say about said item. Then I PM others as well. They have always come up clean. So I continue contact with said seller. And for the most part I have been happy with everyone on here and everything Ive bought. It wasnt until recent that I had a rough experience.

Last edited:
Quote:
Here is the tricky part... many people also think: 5 stars is better than 1.

Not saying the current way is the right way, but that it was given thought before just posting. If we get enough members that are confused and think it should be the other way we can change it.

Back
Top Bottom