Would baking soda work like lime

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tdgill, Jun 13, 2009.

1. in the run and or around the feeders where food has spilled to combat mold?

ok maybe it just wouldnt be cost effective...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read of a few who use it and say it works well. But you're right, it is a lot more expensive. I use the pelleted lime because it isn't dusty; I think about $5 for 40 lbs.

3. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Songster

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    Quote:Where do you get that? I heard it helps with stink (which I need) but I never know where to find these things.

4. jbowen9

jbowen9 Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    Lowe's or home depot has it

5. well going to get lime anyway but i think i might try it for spot treatment in the coop or around feeders. since i already have some in the cupboard.

6. Anny

Anny Songster

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Is there a risk with the pelleted lime of your chickens eating it?

7. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Songster

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:I was wondering the same thing.

[​IMG]

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    A much better solution is to use a product called Stall-Dri. It is available at Tractgor Supply and definately cuts down on odor. It also contains DE so that helps with insects like mites and flies.

9. I am looking to "clean up" the soil and moldy area where the feed spilled. I am not sure that Stall Dri has any lime in it. Just diatomaceous earth and clay. Which is still a very good product to have no doubt! Just not the application that I am seeking.

10. digitS'

digitS' Songster

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    The last time I was a party to cleaning out the kitchen fridge - it turned out we'd put 5 boxes of baking soda in there [​IMG].

Rather than throwing the boxes in the garbage, I think I'll start rotating them out into the coop.

Stall Dry and Dry Stall - there seems to be a number of these products out there. The one they have around here is made from pumice. There may be other "ingredients" - Dry Stall

[​IMG]

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: