Would crossing a Ayam Demand with a Cream Leg bar be sexlink chicks?

What should I cross an Ayam Cemani with?

• Cream Legbar

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Easter Egger

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Blue Laced Red Wyandotte

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Rose Comb Brown Leghorn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (post what breed)

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
I don't know how the Ayam Cemani black pigment will react to the barring gene. It's hard to imagine a chicken not only with black feathers but black, skin, beaks, and internal organs. At least the egg shells are not black, that would be going too far.

In theory that cross should produce a black sex link. The males should have a spot on the head, the females should not. The males should grow up barred, the females should be solid black. That is theory and generally what I'd expect to see.

Something else interesting. The gene that dilutes the gold on the creme legbar and makes it "cream" can sometimes have an effect on black. When you introduce that diluter gene to black genetics you can possibly get some yellow or yellow/orange coloring. I've seen some that I consider really striking. I don't know what will happen with that Ayam Cemani pigment but if you make that cross I'd love to see photos of the chicks just after they hatch and especially after they feather out. The pullets especially may not be solid black.

Yes it would produce a black sex link. Males being barred and females being nonbarred.
I've never tried it myself but was told a black skinned rooster (AC, silkie) crossed to a non black skinned hen will also produce sex linked chicks with the females being black skinned and the males non black skinned.

I cross my extra Ayam Cemani roosters with meat birds. I have hatched out 5 of them between 7 and 9 weeks old now. I am expecting them to mature around 16 weeks since its about halfway between the Mothers early age of maturity and the fathers later age of maturity.

I am considering letting a Cemani Rooster breed with a Grey Japanese Bantam Hen. I think that might make a decent little Semi Bantam. Probably keep breeding the offspring back to the Japanese Bantam but I honestly do not like dealing with that short leg creeper gene.

I cross my extra Ayam Cemani roosters with meat birds. I have hatched out 5 of them between 7 and 9 weeks old now. I am expecting them to mature around 16 weeks since its about halfway between the Mothers early age of maturity and the fathers later age of maturity.

I am considering letting a Cemani Rooster breed with a Grey Japanese Bantam Hen. I think that might make a decent little Semi Bantam. Probably keep breeding the offspring back to the Japanese Bantam but I honestly do not like dealing with that short leg creeper gene.
The short leg gene breeds out quickly.
It's actually hard to breed in.

DSCN3015.JPG

Not even sure if its a Cockerel or a Pullet but this can sometimes be the result of buying Ayam Cemani hatching eggs on Ebay. Only one hatched ... If its a male I will cross him with the Grey Japanese Bantam. To be honest I like this better than the full black but that is some serious leakage to the point I won't buy from that seller again because I suspect they knew they weren't selling decent hatching eggs. I don't even have a white feather or toe from the 3 other sellers I bought hatching eggs from. If thats a Pullet I have other plans and will breed a different Ayam Cemani to the Japanese Bantam.
DSCN3001.JPG

Even though you already know what a Japanese Bantam looks like I thought I would share this picture because this is her brood, and 2 of those large chicks are really Ayam Cemani x Red Ranger crosses. The father was a cull I got cheap and quite a bit larger than a decent Ayam Cemani. When she went broody I was in a clowning around mood and put the meat bird eggs under her. The Bantams she hatched out are still under half the day on cold days the the meat birds are fully feathered and following their mom around. The Picture is a week old and they are much larger than her already and still following her around. They are so much fun to watch. The good part is that she went broody at a bad time and has bantams in very cold weather... 2 extra large chicks huddled around her helps her to keep the 2 bantams she has warm... The 3rd black chick she has in that photo is a Maran Black Sex Link (BCMxCuckoo)

99406444_wcbda9bfc-451e-403f-b0e0-48923a727a9c.jpg

These are my other 3 Ayam Cemani x Red Ranger crosses. A few weeks older. They spend very little time at the feeder and free range most of the day. Its actually hard to get pictures of them together. Not exactly sure when they hatched but I know during Hurricane Florence I was stressing about losing power with he incubator going... I didn't lose power and here they are.

I also considered crossing them with Cuckoo Marans to make black sex links but I am using my marans for making olive eggers and I take that breeding project seriously so I am not playing around with that breed right now.

I've never tried it myself but was told a black skinned rooster (AC, silkie) crossed to a non black skinned hen will also produce sex linked chicks with the females being black skinned and the males non black skinned.
When crossing a black skinned cock over yellow legged hens the result is sex linked offspring. The males won’t have dark skin while the females will have dark skin.
Silkie cock x Red Sex Link hen pullet chick
12014EEA-0981-4CE0-B756-9C5A536313E7.jpeg
Silkie cock x Red Sex Link hen cockerel chick
5AEEF3F6-34B5-406E-8933-6F6A23D59FB2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom