Would heat affect onset of laying?

Chickidee216

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 17, 2016
I've got 13 hens all of which have been bright red in thier combs and wattles for about 2 weeks now. They've been squatting for me and a couple of them even squatting for my rooster for the better part of a week and still NOTHING! No eggs...ugh. I live in Texas and it's been in the upper 90s with heat indexes above 100 for the last couple weeks. Could this been why they haven't started laying yet? All the signs are there! What's happening!

A small sampling of my 13 free-loading slackers :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I let them out at about 645 am or so and lock them up at about 845 or 9pm. I've looked EVERYWHERE. Thankfully other than the 2 trees and bit of vegetation in the picture there's really no where else to hide. They're right at 20 weeks now and I keep thinking "any minute now, any minute".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I also live in Texas and have the same temps you describe, I was getting 12 or 13 eggs from 19 hens everyday and now I'm getting about 5-8 eggs, of course at this time I have 3 broodie. Your hens look very healthy so just be patient, it will happen. Just don't expect many eggs this summer

Back
Top Bottom