1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would heat affect onset of laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LEOW2012, Jun 23, 2016.

1. LEOW2012

LEOW2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    I've got 13 hens all of which have been bright red in thier combs and wattles for about 2 weeks now. They've been squatting for me and a couple of them even squatting for my rooster for the better part of a week and still NOTHING! No eggs...ugh. I live in Texas and it's been in the upper 90s with heat indexes above 100 for the last couple weeks. Could this been why they haven't started laying yet? All the signs are there! What's happening!

[​IMG]

A small sampling of my 13 free-loading slackers :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    When do you let them out. Maybe check the yard ,under every bush,any where a chicken may be able to get to. They are probably laying out in the yard somewhere.

3. LEOW2012

LEOW2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    I let them out at about 645 am or so and lock them up at about 845 or 9pm. I've looked EVERYWHERE. Thankfully other than the 2 trees and bit of vegetation in the picture there's really no where else to hide. They're right at 20 weeks now and I keep thinking "any minute now, any minute".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

4. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    I also live in Texas and have the same temps you describe, I was getting 12 or 13 eggs from 19 hens everyday and now I'm getting about 5-8 eggs, of course at this time I have 3 broodie. Your hens look very healthy so just be patient, it will happen. Just don't expect many eggs this summer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by