Would hens FIT through an open cat door? 6"x6"/15.88cmx15.88cm

rosedairy

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 17, 2009
Hi, Rosie here. I have a question for y'all.

So I'm building my coop at the moment, and I had this idea to put in a pet door to let the chickens get from the garden shed outside to the run. I'd remove the flap or rig it to stay up, of course, but it makes me feel like the girls would be a bit more secure, in case something manages to get into the run.

Here's the deal, though. New Egg as I am, I don't actually know how big a full grown hen is! Silly me! Ok, well, would a chicken fit through a cat door? It's 6 and a quarter by 6 and a quarter-- 15.88cmx15.88cm.

umm... i think that would be too small, you dont want a hen to get stuck. What breeds are you getting. That would be perfect for a banty, but its too small for a standard. You could use a dog door. you are gonna want something 12 by 12 or bigger.

btw, not sure what breeds! but i think, you're right, it would be good if there was versatility for larger chickens at a later date.

Last edited:
They might. I had cat-holes cut in a former fence so that the cats could get away from loose neighborhood dogs, and the barred rocks I had at the time fit through them nicely. The size appearance of those fluffy-butts is deceiving-they really are mostly fluff.

Our entire yard is now fenced, so don't need to worry about loose dogs any more.

Off the subject, but a fond memory from early childhood is the duck we had that would stick its head in the cat door to get treats. I don't think it ever came in, though.

Last edited:
Our biggest hens fit through our pophole door which is probably about 7" or so... But two can fit through at a time. They are standards too, and some are really huge.

Quote:
So you think it might work?

(Also, resisting the urge to laugh at the idea of a chicken with their butt stuck out the side of m shed!)

I am pretty sure all except possibly the biggest *could* if they really *wanted* to.

However it is not necessarily super-appealing to them, and it might (or might not, you never know with chickens) turn out to be hard to explain to them that they really CAN fit.

I'd just make the door bigger.

A cat flap (which can be made bigger too of course) is not going to provide much of any protection from a predator in the run, you know... practically anything likely to bother them will be able to squish itself through that hole. You'll keep out large dogs, but that's probably about it. Not sure it's really worth it as a 'security' measure.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I thought I had a door that was about the smallest possible for Barred Rocks and Australorps. It is 8" wide by 12" high . . .

I like the fact that it cuts down on air movement into the insulated part of the coop: It is open during the day unless the temps are down around zero. However, that's a bit of a squeeze for standard size hens.

They'd really be kickin' and strugglin' to get thru a 6" square opening.

Steve

I'm sure they can fit. They'll squeeeeeze into anywhere!
lau.gif

I find mine in some crazy spots, like behind the dryer we have outside. She got stuck but it was a space smaller than 6" more like 4", if she would have had a little more room and a bigger brain, she might have made it out alone. Her BF waited right by her side, how sweet. They also like to "rest" under the lawn tractor,
ep.gif
yikes!

Back
Top Bottom