Would it be cruel to keep a rooster separate but together?

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I posted some about this last week here, but basically, I have two 5 1/2 month-old cockerels and about 20 hens. They've always gotten along until the last week - the little Hamburg started going after the huge Cochin whenever he would try to mate with one of the girls. But he only did it when they free-ranged, not in their coop/run. They're usually in for half the day and out for half the day.

Since this began, the Cochin stays away from the flock, though a few of the girls will come to hang out with him from time to time. The girls get aggravated with the Hamburg because they're not quite ready for mating, and he doesn't take no for an answer. Plus, he's a bit small and has trouble mounting them sometimes. When the Cochin tries to mate and the girls say no, he backs off.

I know they're just going through their normal hormonal stuff, but today, I was outside with them, and two of the hens got into a little squabble. The next thing I know, the Hamburg went after Cochin (who was dust bathing), and the Cochin was absolutely terrified. I've never seen him fly his big body up that high. I ended up letting him out by himself for a while and then I let the rest out about an hour later.

My question is - would it be terrible of me to separate the Hamburg? My run is large enough that I could get a smaller coop and keep it inside of it for him, so he'd still be with the flock but couldn't terrorize everyone. I could possibly get him his own set up with his own girls in the spring, but I would really prefer the Cochin to be my main rooster with this flock.

I posted some about this last week here, but basically, I have two 5 1/2 month-old cockerels and about 20 hens. They've always gotten along until the last week - the little Hamburg started going after the huge Cochin whenever he would try to mate with one of the girls. But he only did it when they free-ranged, not in their coop/run. They're usually in for half the day and out for half the day.

Since this began, the Cochin stays away from the flock, though a few of the girls will come to hang out with him from time to time. The girls get aggravated with the Hamburg because they're not quite ready for mating, and he doesn't take no for an answer. Plus, he's a bit small and has trouble mounting them sometimes. When the Cochin tries to mate and the girls say no, he backs off.

I know they're just going through their normal hormonal stuff, but today, I was outside with them, and two of the hens got into a little squabble. The next thing I know, the Hamburg went after Cochin (who was dust bathing), and the Cochin was absolutely terrified. I've never seen him fly his big body up that high. I ended up letting him out by himself for a while and then I let the rest out about an hour later.

My question is - would it be terrible of me to separate the Hamburg? My run is large enough that I could get a smaller coop and keep it inside of it for him, so he'd still be with the flock but couldn't terrorize everyone. I could possibly get him his own set up with his own girls in the spring, but I would really prefer the Cochin to be my main rooster with this flock.
I cant give a sure answer here, we had a similar problem but ended up getting rid of ours (not for that reason only, he was very mean and got aggressive and was very loud, he chased and many things were wrong. We also didnt have enough hens at the time) i think you can do that, but something i read is that you should be careful adding him back in, because he might take the other roo as a threat (if you do add him back in or something)

im not to sure on this though, i can say however you have a very good portion of girl to boy ratio

I cant give a sure answer here, we had a similar problem but ended up getting rid of ours (not for that reason only, he was very mean and got aggressive and was very loud, he chased and many things were wrong. We also didnt have enough hens at the time) i think you can do that, but something i read is that you should be careful adding him back in, because he might take the other roo as a threat (if you do add him back in or something)

im not to sure on this though, i can say however you have a very good portion of girl to boy ratio
I'm sorry you had to get rid of your guy! I actually had four roosters, but managed to find a home for two of them, thank goodness! They were starting to chase me and my dog, even at such a young age.

I'm sorry you had to get rid of your guy! I actually had four roosters, but managed to find a home for two of them, thank goodness! They were starting to chase me and my dog, even at such a young age.
no, its fine. he went to a pretty great home with 40 hens and no roos at all, so he had all the ladies! I think we just didnt have enough space for him and he didnt have enough ladies, but hes happy now! :)

no, its fine. he went to a pretty great home with 40 hens and no roos at all, so he had all the ladies! I think we just didnt have enough space for him and he didnt have enough ladies, but hes happy now! :)
Oh great! That's what happened with the two boys I got rid of. They went to a huge farm with tons of girls, and I try not to ask questions, but I'm told they're pretty happy there.

Oh great! That's what happened with the two boys I got rid of. They went to a huge farm with tons of girls, and I try not to ask questions, but I'm told they're pretty happy there.
Aw! That’s awesome! Same with us, i dont want to bother them but its so tempting just for a picture.

Hey there...wanted to see how you ended up handling your roo situation. I have similar issues and ran across this thread n thought I'd check with you for advice in how you handled.

Hey there...wanted to see how you ended up handling your roo situation. I have similar issues and ran across this thread n thought I'd check with you for advice in how you handled.
Hey - I actually haven't done anything just yet. I wish I had a better answer. We went through a lot, but I still have both boys together with all the girls, and they've kinda come to an understanding. They flap their wings and crow at each other a lot, but they don't fight. The only problem I'm having with them now is overmating - if they see one with a girl, the other one has to jump on her back afterward and do it too. So, I'm thinking about making a timeout pen for the most lecherous one right next to my main run. I'm also adding 8 more hens to my flock in May so they'll have nearly 30 girls to choose from.

Hey - I actually haven't done anything just yet. I wish I had a better answer. We went through a lot, but I still have both boys together with all the girls, and they've kinda come to an understanding. They flap their wings and crow at each other a lot, but they don't fight. The only problem I'm having with them now is overmating - if they see one with a girl, the other one has to jump on her back afterward and do it too. So, I'm thinking about making a timeout pen for the most lecherous one right next to my main run. I'm also adding 8 more hens to my flock in May so they'll have nearly 30 girls to choose from.
Gotcha...I have babies in incubator but that's not gonna help my situation for a while. And I don't wanna rehome one of the roos cuz of breeding hopes!

Gotcha...I have babies in incubator but that's not gonna help my situation for a while. And I don't wanna rehome one of the roos cuz of breeding hopes!
Did you ever figure out anything? I actually bought a small coop today and plan to put it together tomorrow. One of my boys will be living in it for now. He's way too aggressive during mating and starting to injure my girls. Plus, he keeps trying to fight my big rooster. The bad thing is he's very human-friendly. Anyway, I feel bad for him, so I don't want to get rid of him (I know he won't last long wherever he goes), so I'm going to try a bachelor pad for him. He'll still be able to see the others, but they won't be able to touch them.

Back
Top Bottom