Would it be ok to leave my chickens locked in the coop for 3 days?

Quote:
In my exprience you are very wise:>) I won't let anyone in my coops anymore to care for my birds either and I would leave them for three days without a problem. Bad experiences for sure...neighbors who send thier children to do it for them instead...yup, that was an experience. Anyway you know what, they are chickens and will survive with food and water without having to be babysat

wow...Im so glad to read all the suggestions...I was going to post the question myself...we are freqently gone friday evening thru sunday evening and am trying to "think things thru" before getting my gals...one question...my coop will have 2 windows(one by the front door and one on the side by the roost across the back)which one should I leave cracked for venelation...will a draft by the roost be wrong...I live in s.e.texas and it is scorching hot...the days are 90-100 and nights are in the high70's to mid 80's...seriousley we can wear shorts at christmas time.. usually never down past the mid 30's... I was also thinking about putting one of those power roof vents that are temp controlled on the roof...any suggestions would be appreciated..

Quote:
In those hot temps they will need the cross ventilation and likely also fans (drafts more an issue in cold weather). I have fans that are above their heads and blow the air out the window - so it doesn't blow directly on them. However, in the recent insane inferno of a heat wave we had I also had 2 fans blowing air directly on them to provide some relief because the air was so thick with dew point readings through the roof and the air was so still w/o the fans- they were miserable.
JJ

Back
Top Bottom