Would it be unreasonable?

Madjohn85

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 27, 2012
Central Jersey
Would it be unreasonable to start with 12 chickens? We have 8 new chicks ( first time chicken people) that came this week, and I am kicking myslef for not getting barred and jersey giants. Is 12 too much to take on?

I am thinking of running over to TSC and picking up a few more while they are all still young. I think 12 is not that much more than 8. And I promised myself I would stop at 12.
jumpy.gif
Even if they are more RIRs.

We started with thirteen and then shortly after that added four, now we are up to fifty with a few lots of baby chicks, two of which have been hatched by our own hens... So I don't think twelve would be too much, but I suppose that is your decision.

Ha Ha.... Ha Ha Ha... Ha Ha Ha Ha.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicken math..... Go for it! 12 is only 4 more than 8 or 50% more......

I started with 23 free chickens. I lost 1/2 of them to possum and coon.

Then I discovered incubating.

Then I decided to explore making a profit with broilers.....

Today, I have 53 layers, 4 roosters on death row, and 125 Freedom Ranger broiler chicks that should be hatched and delivered in 6 days.

I have an addiction lol! Come join me ;)

I ended up starting with 19. I wanted 3. That's a whole different story. I wish I would have started with 6 in the spring, and six in the fall. I enjoyed the eggs. But raising 19 to be the tame birds that I wanted was difficult. But I had to get rid of 7 roo's. And two chicks died. So I had 10. A fox got 3 of them. So I have seven right now. I have 12 coming in a couple weeks. And I REALLY want Marans, Cochins, and Buff orps. But I don't have room in e coop. :/ so mabye next year if my numbers hold up. Moral of my long unnecessary story, I think you I'll be fine. It just takes a lot of time.(if you want tame chickens)

The only problem with starting out big, of you fill your coop the first year, when you have 5 year old birds who don't lay, then you have no eggs and a full coop. But if you have the coop space, Full speed ahead!

Well, we did it. I called TSC and found out they had Plymouths, which is what I wanted so we drove out there. Only thing is...we HAD to buy 6, not 4 like I wanted.

So now we have 4 RIRs, 4 NHRs, 5 Plymouths (Barred), and 1 random one that I have no idea what she is. They got her out of the red pullets bin.

And can I say, she is SO sweet and calm. But she is a flyer!! So her name is Amelia.

I think I may put 2 on Craig's list. I really only want 12.

We are starting with 12 as well. We have 4 barred rocks (because I wanted three and one would have been left alone, so the store employee encouraged me to take her), 1 RIR, 2 red sexed links, 2 buff orps, 1 cal white leghorn, and 2 silver wyandottes.

I already know what I want next year, lol. I want two black australorps, and two ameracuanas. I am sure I will want some others by then, but for this year, we are done.

Back
Top Bottom