Would it be unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Madjohn85, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    Would it be unreasonable to start with 12 chickens? We have 8 new chicks ( first time chicken people) that came this week, and I am kicking myslef for not getting barred and jersey giants. Is 12 too much to take on?

I am thinking of running over to TSC and picking up a few more while they are all still young. I think 12 is not that much more than 8. And I promised myself I would stop at 12. [​IMG] Even if they are more RIRs.

2. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

We started with thirteen and then shortly after that added four, now we are up to fifty with a few lots of baby chicks, two of which have been hatched by our own hens... So I don't think twelve would be too much, but I suppose that is your decision.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Ha Ha.... Ha Ha Ha... Ha Ha Ha Ha.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicken math..... Go for it! 12 is only 4 more than 8 or 50% more......

I started with 23 free chickens. I lost 1/2 of them to possum and coon.

Then I discovered incubating.

Then I decided to explore making a profit with broilers.....

Today, I have 53 layers, 4 roosters on death row, and 125 Freedom Ranger broiler chicks that should be hatched and delivered in 6 days.

I have an addiction lol! Come join me ;)

4. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I ended up starting with 19. I wanted 3. That's a whole different story. I wish I would have started with 6 in the spring, and six in the fall. I enjoyed the eggs. But raising 19 to be the tame birds that I wanted was difficult. But I had to get rid of 7 roo's. And two chicks died. So I had 10. A fox got 3 of them. So I have seven right now. I have 12 coming in a couple weeks. And I REALLY want Marans, Cochins, and Buff orps. But I don't have room in e coop. :/ so mabye next year if my numbers hold up. Moral of my long unnecessary story, I think you I'll be fine. It just takes a lot of time.(if you want tame chickens)

5. horseshowmomnv

horseshowmomnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    Ha ha ha ha.... We have never owned chickens, we started with 27 chicks! Nothing like jumping in head first!

1 person likes this.
  6. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    The only problem with starting out big, of you fill your coop the first year, when you have 5 year old birds who don't lay, then you have no eggs and a full coop. But if you have the coop space, Full speed ahead!

7. 12 should be fine we started with 25 I don't suggest you start with 25.

8. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    Well, we did it. I called TSC and found out they had Plymouths, which is what I wanted so we drove out there. Only thing is...we HAD to buy 6, not 4 like I wanted.

So now we have 4 RIRs, 4 NHRs, 5 Plymouths (Barred), and 1 random one that I have no idea what she is. They got her out of the red pullets bin.

And can I say, she is SO sweet and calm. But she is a flyer!! So her name is Amelia.

I think I may put 2 on Craig's list. I really only want 12.

9. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Oh, this year you want twelve. Next year. You'll want more:D

10. crchickens

crchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Blue Ridge, TX
    We are starting with 12 as well. We have 4 barred rocks (because I wanted three and one would have been left alone, so the store employee encouraged me to take her), 1 RIR, 2 red sexed links, 2 buff orps, 1 cal white leghorn, and 2 silver wyandottes.

I already know what I want next year, lol. I want two black australorps, and two ameracuanas. I am sure I will want some others by then, but for this year, we are done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by