Would like help on how to safely band chicks with zip/cable ties.

I would be worried about them eating it if one managed to slip off. A friend with chickens mentioned having used the wire ties off bread. With how quickly they grew out of the zip ties, I am like the idea of the spiral leg bands since they are reusable.

I hadn't thought about them slipping off and being eaten. I've never had one come off either a chick or an adult unless I removed it. When I put them on I kinda hold the toes so they are all pointing down together and then slip them on, give them the same kind of twist you do when you are putting one in a child's hair, then do it again. Harder to explain than to do, but I guess what I'm trying to say is you sorta pretend that the feet and legs are a pony tail held in your hand and you just do as many twists as it takes to get it on securely but not enough to be too tight. <sigh> Wish I was a better 'spaliner.

Good enough explanation. I just know how horrible I am with ponytail holders and how often they fall out of my hair. Plus I would be afraid of hurting a leg while doing the multiple twists. If it works for you that is a good thing. I just know I would be no good at it and they would be slipping off and then I would have to worry about them eating the bands.

I had read a post on another thread where the person used those little rubber bands they use for grooming dogs. Those come in different sizes. I wonder if those would not have to use any doubling back over to stay on? Maybe a temporary thing until the chicken's legs get to full grow size?
But I think the spiral bands would be good too! Eliza, from where do you plan to get your spiral bands?

I tried spirals and they didn't stay on as well, so now I use zip ties. To cut them off, I use a 4" diagonal cutter.

-Kathy

From looking online Stromberg's seems to have the biggest selection of sizes and they offer a multi-color pack. Every where else I looked has a max of 3 sizes, usually 4, 9 and 11. Plus they have a sizing guide.

I wouldn't doubt that bits of zip ties have been swallowed. Most chickens will peck at anything brightly colored. All banding has been done in the shed that I have the brooder, so hens do not have access to the scrap bits. Plus they get swept up and put it trash. I do not think that the chicks could swallow a zip tie band that has slipped off, however I am still removing them from the brooder when I see them.

Last edited:
Hi! We use the little girl hairbands that are kind of plastic-ish. They come in many sizes and colors. I start off with the smallest size and then move up to the bigger ones as they grow. Once they are full grown I do use the colored zip ties. Will try to get some pics here soon.

Ok, here is my little Willie, Salmon Favorelle roo with his blue band. His brother Waylon is purple banded. There are some of the bands under him. I have never had one come off with out me removing it, but with some of the things my chickens have eaten, I probably wouldn't worry too much about a little rubberband. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom