Would like to add a few more...but it's complicated. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hokankai, Jun 13, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    So I lost two chicks that were the two breeds I actually wanted. I'm having a broody raise my chicks for me, and I found someone nearby with the breeds I want that are very close to the same age as Molly's chicks (4 weeks...but they look like 2.5-3 week olds). I fear it's too late to try and stick them under mama, but then how do I go about integrating them? Should I stick them in the bantam brooder until mama weans the chicks and then stick them in the pen I had in there for the broody? How would you go about doing it?

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I think I would treat them as a seperate flock...let them see but not be able to peck each other.I would be afraid if they look that much younger to try and get "momma" to take them. I am relatively new to chickens so take what I say with a grain of salt...maybe someone else will have a better opinion. Sorry you lost your favorites [​IMG]

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    First of all - It is really not a good idea to add chickens with out the 30 day isolation. I know with chicks it seems crazy but - I would rather raise the ones I had and start another separate batch than risk them all just to get one or two of the kind I want. Last summer I made the mistake and ADDED ONE CHICK to my flock and everyone got sick. Prior to that I kept each batch isolated for 30 days.

I know how hard it is to pass up chicks especially for the breed I want.

Do yourself a favor and practice safe chicken math!

Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by