Would like to attract crows as hawk deterrent

jj, I think your waisting your time. We have crows everywhere and hawks everywhere around my place. Go figure! This tells me these crows around me aren't doing their job.
barnie.gif
I hate the hawks taunting my chickens that are all in pens. The hawks can't get to them but they sure do try. The crows.........well, it never fails that they party at my house early morning.....EVERYY Saturday morning when I could sleep late if they weren't partying.
barnie.gif
So, to make a long story short......don''t think a crow would make any difference. Hasn't here.

Crows won't keep away a hawk. Crows do annoy hawks, but they seem to travel together. The good thing about crows is that they make a lot of noise and typically let all the birds know when a hawk is nearby.

I have heard that it's best not to attract any wildbirds since they bring disease which can spread to your flock.

All the best with your hawk problem. I've got one too and the only thing that seems to work is good coverage and a roo that is on the lookout.

I have hawks, but thankfully have not lost any chickens to a Hawk as of today. I have to agree that a great Roo is best. Scooter who is calm and easy going in the coop and run is a different beast when out in the field free ranging. He will attack a dog, a cat, or anything that come near his girls. I have watched them and seen him make a noise and all of the ladies run over to the fence, then walk along the fence back to the chicken house. If they are all in the covered run, you can look around and almost always, you will find a hawk sitting in a tree some where.

He is a great Roo.

Yeah.... I have crows and hawks... crows can be pretty sly and steal chicks too if you're not careful. Best thing I have now protecting my flock from hawks are 1) A wise roo who has seen hawk attacks, 2) aged hens who have experience with danger fromt he sky, and 3) the most protective broody in the world who dared to fight a hawk twice that tried to catch her baby chick.

We have many crows and ravens most probably because of our tall white pines. They have never bothered our poultry, but they have plenty of wild food here. As a matter of fact, even though they nest within yards of our house they avoid us. I have seen them gang up on hawks many times. They are incredible birds which mourn their dead. I think it depends on where you are geographically that makes them a pest or not. I love that they eat rodents and road kill! I had a pet crow as a child so maybe I'm just a little bit biased!

Back
Top Bottom