Would Love Some Advice on my Upcoming Pig Project!

Lilorp14

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2014
VA
Hello! Very excited to get up and running with a large (er) scale pig program. So far I've only had a few Kune Kunes as pets with the occasional litter. I have a few questions for the more experienced pig owners.
1. I plan on getting some (2-3 gilts, 1 boar) American Landrace. These are considerably larger than Kune Kunes, and I'm wondering, can the sows/boars be housed together? I would seperate when breeding them for simplicity sake. Will the AL dominate/hurt the KK?
2. I have 3 contiguous 4 acre pastures (or 4 contiguous 3 acre pastures, I haven't decided lol) I've plotted out and I am hoping to house them there. How many pigs do you generally house per acre of pasture? I've heard 10 but would like to hear second opinions 😊.
3. For the aforementioned pastures, would I need to cycle the pigs through them? I've heard no piece of land should house a pig longer than a year to prevent serious nitrogen buildup and too many parasites (not to mention letting the ground recover). What are your thoughts on this?
4. If nitrogen is a serious problem in the soil, would planting a crop of corn the spring after the removal of the pigs ensure that the levels return to normal amounts? Is this necessary or would it be fine to reseed it with regular pasture seed and move on?
Thanks in advance for your advice 😁😁

I like Landrace mainly because of their big ears. Since you want to pasture your pigs give some thought about Large Blacks. They are a very old heritage breed. They are very gentle and they excel in a pasture environment. Look them up.

Back
Top Bottom