lost some chicks, unsure why after lots of Googling - would love some advice

Since these chicks are of the same genetic line and the failures occur at approximately the same age, I would suspect a genetic anomaly. But it's not necessary to continue trying to guess at this. When it happens again have the chick necropsied. It would be worth what it would cost to know what kills these chicks.

Your university extension office or local state office of agriculture can tell you where your nearest state animal testing lab is.

It doesn't seem to catch on to other chicks. Sometimes it's one or two in a batch and sometimes none at all. It doesn't take out a whole batch either.

They get eggs from hens, assortment of grains, kelp, brewers yeast, grit, etc.

I've probably had 4-5 in total die for the year out of 30+ that I've hatched myself. Death occurs between 4-6 weeks of age after hatching. I would say all the chicks have died at similar ages. And it usually is 3-4 days from the time I see symptoms to death no matter what I do.
Sorry for your losses.

I agree, if you lose another, getting a necropsy will give you the best information.
You can look up your state lab here: https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

You mention "it doesn't seem to catch on to other chicks" - does this mean you have other breeds of chicks with the Faverolles or ?

Curious if you feed a commercial chick starter or just the eggs, grain assortment, kelp, etc.?

Sorry for your losses.

I agree, if you lose another, getting a necropsy will give you the best information.
You can look up your state lab here: https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

You mention "it doesn't seem to catch on to other chicks" - does this mean you have other breeds of chicks with the Faverolles or ?

Curious if you feed a commercial chick starter or just the eggs, grain assortment, kelp, etc.?
We have one fibromelanistic hen that produces a mix with the SF rooster, but we've had the same symptoms for both the SF and the mix. It doesn't seem to choose just the SF.

I don't feed a commercial starter, but mix my own with local grains, sesame seeds, kelp, molasses, and brewers yeast.

I do agree the necropsy is probably the best way to go if it happens again. I didn't realize that's a service my state would offer.

Unfortunately I have a video now. Breaks my heart. I started thinking it's a vitamin e deficiency so I've increased the sunflower seeds (chopped up) available for them. I've added ACV to their water too and increased their access to brewers yeast and kelp.

After this "seizure" they're up and running around and eating/drinking like nothing ever happened.

Any ideas appreciated! @azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

chick video

Last edited:
That's a really interesting video; I'm probably no real help here but I'm sure it will be useful to the resident experts!

Have you by chance had a look into the mouth after they start doing this? Something about the way it's moving backwards and opening the mouth makes me wonder if there could be a choking sensation happening that it's trying to "escape" from... probably a stretch on my part but that's how I interpreted the motions. I certainly would not attribute deaths following this procedure to typical chick losses like failure to thrive.

So sorry you are dealing with this and I hope you get answers soon!!

Look like the chick is having a seizure, followed by exhaustion, then it revives. Is this how all the chicks that died behaved?
Yes, once I witness this I know they'll die within 3-4 days. I can also find them completely limp at times and then they revive like nothing has happened.

When I find them dead their legs are fully stretched out typically. Not sure if they end up dying from their issue or from being trampled by the others.

That's a really interesting video; I'm probably no real help here but I'm sure it will be useful to the resident experts!

Have you by chance had a look into the mouth after they start doing this? Something about the way it's moving backwards and opening the mouth makes me wonder if there could be a choking sensation happening that it's trying to "escape" from... probably a stretch on my part but that's how I interpreted the motions. I certainly would not attribute deaths following this procedure to typical chick losses like failure to thrive.

So sorry you are dealing with this and I hope you get answers soon!!
I have not tried that, but I can attempt that if I catch the behavior again. I've googled endlessly and can't find an issue that matches these symptoms completely.

Thank you.

My guess is that a recessive gene is causing a neurological flaw somewhere in the nervous system, probably a lesion on the brain. You do not need to wait until this chick dies to take it to a lab for a necropsy.

I did this once. I had a hen that was dying from something that had killed two others just previously. I drove her alive to the lab. They took her from me and euthanized her and did the necropsy immediately. They prefer a very fresh specimen, and it allows them to briefly observe the chicken while still alive which can provide additional information that can help the diagnosis.

Since this chick is destined to die soon, this is what I recommend.

Back
Top Bottom