lost some chicks, unsure why after lots of Googling - would love some advice

jamieWY

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2023
Hi everyone, I've lost a few chicks with the same symptoms recently and I'm baffled as to what the issue is. I'm pretty new to chickens so I believe I'm missing knowledge and experience to help me understand how to save my chicks.

I've done a lot of Googling and none of the major chicken diseases or illnesses quite match what I'm seeing. I wish I had a video of the issue but my first instinct isn't to pull out a camera when I see the chicks' exhibiting the behavior. Hopefully I can describe it clearly.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Salmon Faverolles, between 4-6 weeks of age, normal weight as siblings
2) What is the behavior, exactly. So the closest thing I can describe this as is an upright seizure. The chick will have its legs tucked underneath it, throw its head back, and open its mouth, sometimes chirping. I tend to pick it up and then set it down when it's ok and it goes back to normal. Other times I see balance issues in the chicks and they'll sometimes be limp but the next minute be running around with a mealworm in their mouth. I'm baffled.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? It happens a for a few days and then I find the chick dead in the brooder with its legs sometimes stretched out (but not always). I've now come to know which chicks won't survive when I see this behavior no matter what I do.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? It doesn't seem to catch on to other chicks. Sometimes it's one or two in a batch and sometimes none at all. It doesn't take out a whole batch either.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No signs of trauma. The chicks are active and running around like normal between intermittent "seizures".
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Am unsure and I don't think it's an issue with the other chicks injuring them or trampling them.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. The chicks do not stop eating or drinking and they go wild over mealworms right up until the day they die. They get eggs from hens, assortment of grains, kelp, brewers yeast, grit, etc.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. I've not noticed anything off with any of the chicks' poop.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I've tried electrolytes, ACV in water, more brewers yeast and kelp in case it was a vitamin deficiency.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Just for me to know better going forward.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I sure wish I had a picture. If it ever unfortunately happens again I'll try to get a video or picture.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. They get straw and wood chips deeply layered with fresh bedding over time. They're in a 100 gal rubbermaid tub with a heat plate.

Thank you for any and all insight!

Sorry for your loss. What is the temperature of the room in which they are being brooded? Are they staying under the heat plate much of the time? At that age, coccidiosis can be a problem, but something else might be going on. You could try treating with some Corid, and keep their bedding dry, fresh and free of water spills.Hard to know what the problem is, but if you lose another, your state vet could do a necropsy on one or two, and give you a diagnosis.

I can understand how terribly alarming this is, having chicks die repeatedly without indication as to why. Let's try to figure it out.

How many chicks have died in this way out of how many total?
At what age have these deaths occurred? Is it soon after you got them or a week? Is the time between getting the chick and its death similar over all?

Sorry for your loss. What is the temperature of the room in which they are being brooded? Are they staying under the heat plate much of the time? At that age, coccidiosis can be a problem, but something else might be going on. You could try treating with some Corid, and keep their bedding dry, fresh and free of water spills.Hard to know what the problem is, but if you lose another, your state vet could do a necropsy on one or two, and give you a diagnosis.
A necropsy might be a good idea. The temperature is between 65 and 75 degrees in their brooder room plus the heat plate if they want it. They don't stay under it often except at night.

I can understand how terribly alarming this is, having chicks die repeatedly without indication as to why. Let's try to figure it out.

How many chicks have died in this way out of how many total?
At what age have these deaths occurred? Is it soon after you got them or a week? Is the time between getting the chick and its death similar over all?
I've probably had 4-5 in total die for the year out of 30+ that I've hatched myself. Death occurs between 4-6 weeks of age after hatching. I would say all the chicks have died at similar ages. And it usually is 3-4 days from the time I see symptoms to death no matter what I do.

No offense but i call that a success at only losing 5 out of 30. Some just dont make it. Nothing more, nothing less. Not as strong.. the runts.. struggle to survive. Hell even under a broody i expect her to lose 1-2 per 10 under her before they reach weening time. And i have several broodies all from 8 months up to 3 years. Death in chicks is almost guaranteed.

No offense but i call that a success at only losing 5 out of 30. Some just dont make it. Nothing more, nothing less. Not as strong.. the runts.. struggle to survive. Hell even under a broody i expect her to lose 1-2 per 10 under her before they reach weening time. And i have several broodies all from 8 months up to 3 years. Death in chicks is almost guaranteed.
That's true and the numbers do put it into perspective. I just hate seeing it happen when I'm not sure what it is and it's the same symptoms. Makes me think there's something specific going on that I'm missing. Of course I want to make sure it's not something I'm doing wrong.

Back
Top Bottom