Would love to see pictures of your outside access nest boxes!!

"I'm liking the roll out idea. The chickens don't mind laying their eggs on the wire mesh?"

The hens are happy with them. I had to lay a bit of straw on top of the hardware wire for a couple of months to teach them. Don 't need it anymore.
If you have hens that are used to something already it may be more of a challenge. Mine never knew there might be another option. Lol

Last edited:
Click on the "My Coop" link under my profile pic to see pics of our coop while under construction. There are a few pictures of when we were framing in the nesting box. It's a large communal box and works very well for my girls. As many as four girls will lay at the same time although some of them want to lay on top of each other! Silly girls!
You have a really gorgeous and amazing coop! Very jealous. :)

"I'm liking the roll out idea. The chickens don't mind laying their eggs on the wire mesh?"

The hens are happy with them. I had to lay a bit of straw on top of the hardware wire for a couple of months to teach them. Don 't need it anymore.
If you have hens that are used to something already it may be more of a challenge. Mine never knew there might be another option. Lol
Have any eggs ever broken on it?

None at all. The roof overhangs that area. We are having our first big snow fall of the season. I'll find out if there is a problem after, but I doubt it, since I can clean it off the nesting box roof before it begins to melt.

You have a really gorgeous and amazing coop! Very jealous. :)

Thanks! All the credit goes to my DH who really outdid himself. A lot of it was recycled materials and a LOT of it was researching how to do it on BYC! We did have a hard time figuring out the nesting box which is why I tried to include pictures of that area as he was building it. We'd literally be on this website and looking at pictures while he was going back and forth to work on the coop.

Thank goodness for BYC members or my poor girls would still be in that tiny tractor!

Mk1 prototype Plastic Keter shed with pop hole and curtain to nest box.

External Plastic communal nest box (made from a cheap garden storage box) which all the Chickens even those in the other coops use
All blast-able with a pressure washer so dead easy to clean.

A test Chicken, She was in there before I had even finished fitting the curtain and door.

Last edited:
I am well into anything plastic
We place these Throwaway drinkers made from milk bottles around the field boundaries
We rinse them out a few times then make replacements as our Ducks and Geese tend to make anything with water in quite muddy almost immediately.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom