Would my chicks like a mister in their run?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jolyn, May 16, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Since it does get so hot here in Northern Ca.....would it be ok to put misters in the run? Do chickens like having misters? Will they use it to cool off?

Thanks for any info,
    Jodie

2. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Anyone? Anyone?

3. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    I thought you were talking about a Mister as in Mr...as in manly man.... foghorn leghorn....I know they'd like a Mr Roo....don't know about the mister.....[​IMG]

4. Velociraptor

Velociraptor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  5. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Quote:Exactly what I was thinking! [​IMG]

6. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    Last year here in Kansas it got to br over 100 degrees several days. I put frozen 2 liter pop bottles in the run and ran a garden sprinkler back and forth over the run several times a day. Some people have put a kiddie wading pool with a couple inches of water out for their birds. This year I am going to use the mister. Is your run covered or do they range to find shade?

7. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:Mine is covered so they do not free range. My run does have shade trees but with it getting over 100 already our summer could be even hotter. That's why i thought the misters would be good.

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

It gets very hot down here where I am and I've never used misters. I'm not sure they would really care for it. How about putting a little fan in the run just to keep air moving? I know you can find cheap fans at Target. I bought a two pack for $20. They might enjoy having their dusting area hosed off, too.

9. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I already have a fan in there!!

Tomorrow is the big day. We shall see if all the work will pay off and if they will be able to stay in there without over heating.

Wish me luck!

10. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    [​IMG]I totally understood your mister to mean a misting system for the chickens. I purchased one for myself today, humm, should I have gotten them one too?
    Our high today in SoCal was 93, so strange that NoCal was hotter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by