Would pox affect a rooster's crow?

Romaana

Chirping
Sep 17, 2021
South Africa
Hello everyone! New member from South Africa! :frow... I noticed that my rooster's crow sounded different 2 days ago... He is just shy of 7 months old so I assumed that maybe the sound of a rooster's crow would change at different points of their lives.

This morning I noticed yellow pustules on his crown and wattles... My question is, if this is pox, could it be wet pox considering that my boy now sounds different... (I'm hoping that it can be dry pox but affecting his crow somehow)... His crow sounds sad. I haven't managed to pry open his beak to check for any "cheesy" deposits. He is going about his usual rooster business and does not seem unwell.

Also, if this is pox, is it absolutely necessary to quarantine him? He gets upset when he is away from his hens and usually finds his way back to them. He is one of 6, he has a brother and 4 hens, so I'm thinking that they've already come into contact with this possible pox considering that the flock is so small. He is the head rooster, so there's no chance that these are pecking wounds.

I've decided not to intervene if it's dry pox, but may need to feed him etc if it's wet pox and if he gets ill and cannot eat by himself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Can you post any pictures of the scabs? Wet pox is inside the beak and throat, with evidence of yellow plaques or material. If you see any take pictures.

IMG_20210918_072932__01.jpg
IMG_20210918_072747__01.jpg

He naturally has white and red earlobes.

Back
Top Bottom