1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would someone like to fill me in on the best way to raise ducklings&..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by youdontknow32, Jan 17, 2009.

1. youdontknow32

youdontknow32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    Ok....Would someone like to fill me in on the best way to raise ducklings & Gooselings.....I plan to get some in a few months, and want to be able to give them all that they need! I have never raised either, and not sure what bedding, what kind of floor, when they should get water, how long I should leave the water in..to swim in obviously.......Any help would be great!!

Thanks,
    Nicole

2. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I don' have any experiances with goslings, but I'd imagine that they are pretty much the same as ducklings.

this is what I've always done.

if you are getting day olds. as soon as they arrive they need to be hydrated, ducks are much easier than chicks to hydrate, mine always found the water themselves.

you will need to go to a feed store and get unmedicated chick starter/grower. they will eat this for the first 10 weeks, then they can go on grower/finisher. they eat that until 16 weeks, then they can go on layer.

for swimming, I've always let my ducklings swim at 2 or 3 days old, but only for 1 or 2 minutes at a time, they get cold fast, then up the time 2 minutes every other day.

for bedding I used newspaper, or hay, I wouldn't use hay until they are nearly ready to go outside. DO NOT use shavings they will eat them and can die.

all my ducks are healthy..and fat, soi I guess what i did worked xD

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I raise mine pretty much the same way I raise my chicks....only they get access to swimming water a couple of times a day.

They need drinking water that is deep enough that they can submerge their whole faces. If they have feed in front of them they need water so they won't choke.

Despite what some will tell you, they can have medicated chick starter as long as the only med in it is amprolium which is a preventative for cocci. Ducklings and goslings can get coccidiosis like chicks so also need that protection. Purina Start & Grow is what all my call ducklings get.

They outgrow the need for heat more quickly than chicks do.

Puppy pee pads work well to absord the wet mess they make...they are a million times more messy than chicks.

edited because I can't spell this morning!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  4. youdontknow32

youdontknow32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    Thanks guys!

Sounds pretty easy..I was just so worried! Thanks!

Nicole:)

5. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    There are numerous website devoted to rearing waterfowl babies. Just do a web search.
    I also have a "tips on raising waterfowl" page on my website you could check out.
    Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by