Would the neighbor have caused this? Weird acting hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken_angler, Dec 8, 2008.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    We are having trouble with the neighbor kid coming into our coop. Now after we know he has gone in there, the chickens do a funny squat when I try to pet them. If I am touching them, they flatten down almost all the way to the ground and fluff up all the feathers around their neck. I know he has had something to do with it because some of the hens that do this are ones that I could have sit on my shoulder before the kid started coming into the coop.
    What could he have done to make them act like this? I might be able to get a video of them sometime doing their squat!

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

sounds like your birds are doing "the squat" because they're acting like a roo is going to have his way with them.

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Have your chickens been laying eggs yet?

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Yeah, they're getting ready to start laying eggs for you! YAY! You better get a nest box ready for them!

Shelly

5. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    They all are layers they already lay.they range from 32 weeks to 2 years. I dont have a rooster either. I have 10 boxes for 14 hens

6. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Our hens also do that when there is no roo with them. It's a sign of submission. However, if your usually tame girls have become skittish and unhandleable, I'd have a talk with the neighbor boy and ask him to leave them alone unless you are there to supervise. If he won't then I'd put a lock on the gate/door.

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I think maybe you just haven't noticed it before? All chickens do a "squat" when they are laying or getting ready to lay eggs. Nothing is wrong with them. That is normal girl chicken behavior. They aren't hurt or scared. I would put a lock on the coop so the neighbor can't go in there anymore, though. Not sure how old he is, but he could accidentally hurt them!

Hope this makes you feel better!

Shelly

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

the hens are telling you that YOU are the "alpha" that "squat" is their "i give up" language,,, they finally see you as the "top dog" [​IMG]

9. Bugdude

Bugdude Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    Sounds like you need a low voltage "hotwire" ran to the coop door. It will help "teach" the neighbor boy to stay out. Can you talk to his folks and have them maybe keep an eye on their kid?

10. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    maybe the kid pets them to "hard" so they are lowing them self to brace for the petting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by