Would these breeds be okay together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kristi912, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Kristi912

Kristi912 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    I am currently raising 4 RIRs, they are 2 weeks old. I REALLY want a buff Orp. Will these two breeds be okay together? If so where could I find one I live in Indiana, I don't know anyone else in this area that raises chickens and our local Rural King doesn't carry that breed.

2. seafood

seafood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    No problem...piece of cake.

3. doubleyolks

doubleyolks New Egg

Mar 31, 2008
    Winchester Ohio
    I am not an expert as I have only had my girls since 2/13/08. I have 15 assorted that include buffs and 17 Aracana and all 32 live happily in a "Stage 2" huge box thing my dear husband made in the garage. I hope a more experienced chicken lover writes to confirm my guess. Mt Healthy Hatchery in Cincy has chicks.

4. Kristi912

Kristi912 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Thanks for your imput. I just put an email into the hatchery. Didn't know if they'd let me place a small order or not. Waiting for their reply.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    RIR and Buff Orps will get along fine unless there is a personality conflict which could happen with any breed and even between chickens of the same breed... it's not likely though.

6. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    I've raised the two together without any problems. There is a size difference, with the buffs being a bit larger than the RIRs, but it never posed a problem for my flock. Get the Buffs, you'll love 'em!! [​IMG]

7. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    My flock is made up of Buff Orps, RIRs and Barred Rocks. All get along great and they are so beautiful together. The chicks came from a local feed store, originally from Ideal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by