Would they be pure?

mother of many

Chirping
May 11, 2015
Bladenboro, NC
I am wanting to start a few breeding projects and had some questions. Like say for instance I want to expand the color pallet in my flock. So if I crossed a Gold Laced Wyandotte with a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, both parents being Wyandottes would they be considered pure bred? I am just wanting to cross colors and not actual breeds. I am curious about the color crosses and think that I could come out with some beautiful birds. The only cross breeds I am trying is a Barred/Plymouth Rock Rooster with his 4 girls, 2 Plymouth Rocks and 2 Rhode Island Reds. Which I have seen come out with a wonderful result and both being good egg layers I would imagine the offsprings laying ability would not be compromised.

In my eyes they would be purebreds, but maybe there are a few elitists who'd say otherwise. Sounds fun, post your results if you follow through!

I will I am very excited to start this whole breeding thing. My husband and I are going to start building little mating pens out back. I still need to get a couple mates, my little mottled cochin bantam pullet got hawk scooped yesterday so I gotta get a replacement for her. But i got a few Easter Egger eggs in the incubator and hope that all goes well. This is my first time trying to hatch. So fingers crossed.

This is a sticky question and the source of considerable controversy, but the simple answer is no; your GLW X BLRW will not be considered by show breeders as a pure breed as they will not meet the required, recognized SOP color standards. Unlike dogs, purebred chickens are not determined by a pedigree, but by whether or not they meet the required SOP standards (including the recognized color varieties) of the governing poultry organizations such as the APA. Of course this seems contrary to common sense which says if both of the parents are pure Wyandottes, then the offspring should be considered pure Wyandottes as well, but in the poultry world common sense does not always win poultry shows or fetch high prices.

Back
Top Bottom