Would they breed true?

ninjascrub69

Songster
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Bloomingdale, MI
I've had many chickens that have a red "shoulder" and hackle feathers (from a black bird X red bird) would they breed true, or would they be different colors if i bred them together?

try it and lets see
big_smile.png

Quote:
I think im going to
celebrate.gif
. If they do breed true i'll probably try to get the color recognized by the APA by selling it to a ton of ppl in Allegan county, and on ebay (so it will spread fast and be sort of well known) and contacting the APA. It'll probably take a few years but it's worth it.

Last edited:
Its not that easy. Even if they did breed true, and we perfectly identicle siblings, and you sold them to 100 people, you would have to get everyone to get there birds NPIP tested, then convince them all to show. THEN convince the apa or aba and so on. It certainly can take more than a few years. But goodluck
smile.png

It would take I believe 3-10 breeders, NPIP certified, with 5 years experience on the color variation, and all with a proposed standard for the color that they have been following for this all to work.
wink.png

Black and Red just make black with red leakage - Those offspring bred together will just throw more black, red, red-leaked black, and even wheaten.

If you actually want a black bird with red, try working on the Black Copper color, not just crossing random colors.
wink.png

It's not an easy journey:

AMERICAN BANTAM ASSOCIATION

REQUIREMENTS OF ADMISSION OF NEW BREEDS AND VARIETIES

The Standard Committee makes rules and sets fees.

All proposed changes in Bantam Standard are to be published in the Quarterly to all comment by members.

Qualifying meets for both new breeds and new varieties must be held at each of the shows hosting the ABA Annual or Semi-Annual Meets.

NEW BREED:

There must be a minimum of 25 birds in each variety to be qualified within the new breed, exhibited in 4 classes (cock,

hen, cockerel, pullet) by a minimum of 5 breeders.

NEW VARIETY:

There must be a minimum of 25 birds exhibited in 4 classes (cock, hen, cockerel, pullet) by a minimum of 5 breeders.

NO CHANGES are final until recommended by the Standard Committee and approved by a majority vote of the Board of Directors at an Annual or Semi-Annual Meeting.

AMERICAN POULTRY ASSOCIATON

ADMISSION OF NEW BREEDS AND VARIETIES

A petition for recognition of any breed or variety must be sent to the Secretary giving the history of it's origin, breeding background & facts of an educational nature.

Must include proposed name of breed or variety with the standard for shape, color and weight. Applications to both associations (ABA & APA) must be of the same description, etc.

Affidavits need be included from not less than five breeders that they have bred the breed or variety for not less than five years and it produces not less than 50% of all specimens reasonably true to type, color, size & comb.

Breeds or Varieties need to have been exhibited for two years prior at a show officiated by a licensed APA judge. The secretary will contact these judges for his or her confidential opinion of the quality and uniformity.

A $$ deposit of a sum sufficient to defray the actual cost of placing the text in the Standard shall be received with the petition to be returned if this case is rejected.

The petition will then be referred to the Standard committee who shall name a qualifying meet at a prominent show to be judged by a licensed APA judge.

This meet shall consist of not less than fifty (50) specimens exhibited by five (5) exhibitors in all classes of cock, hen, cockerel, pullet.

When satisfied the committee shall then recommend it's acceptance by the Board of Directors, upon which it becomes a recognized breed or variety.

Back
Top Bottom