Would this be appropriate?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HHandbasket, Jan 25, 2011.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

There's this house next door to where my son lives that has chickens in the yard. They have mille fleur d'uccles, hens and roos, REALLY pretty ones, along with a couple of other breeds. They have chainlink fence around the yard, and the fence is at least 6 feet high (not the best neighborhood, but decent folks). Anyway, I want some of their eggs. I see roosters AND hens in the yard, which to me means fertile eggs. Hehehe. I want them... I'm like that, always wantin' what I can't get. I have tried to catch the people as they are coming and going, as I can't get to the door to knock (gated/fenced/locked), but short of stalking them and watching their house (which I am not willing to do), it's hard to catch them at home and outside.

Would it be inappropriate for me to put a note on their gate with my name and phone number and tell them I am interested in buying some fertile eggs from them, if they have any available? If you came home and found such a note, would you call the person and possibly sell them some of your eggs?

Thanks!

2. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I can't see how it would hurt.

3. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

I dont see anything wrong with that! I was even gonna tell you to put a note on the gate, then i finished reading your post! [​IMG]

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I would definitely leave a note, no harm in that. If they don't contact you they are jerk faces!

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Can't hurt to try.

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I agree... I may explain that my son lives next door and I am not a wondering person looking for eggs...lol

7. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    put a note somewhere gate or in the mailbox

8. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Thank you guys for your posts. I was figuring it wouldn't hurt, either. I was also thinking I would write the note on an attractive blank notecard and stick it in an envelope, rather than some random scrap of paper from the bottom of my purse.

I will toodle over there today and put it on the gate. Thanks again, y'all!

9. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I think leaving a note is a great idea, good luck!

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Sheesh, a bit hostile there. [​IMG] Maybe it would mean they were very private people and appreciate being left alone. Maybe the wind blew it away. Maybe whoever took it off the gate stuck it in a pocket and forgot it. None of that means they are "jerk faces".

Yes to leaving a note on the gate. Hope it works out for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by