Would this dye technique be safe?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I’ve been reading about dying chickens feathers, I will only ever use natural food dye on animals to not hurt them but I’ve read that you can inject dye into an egg 11-14 days and they would come out dyed but would that be safe? Would it work? I think fun colored chickens would be nice to have, since my chickens generally don’t pick on others if they are raised near the fully grown ones I think it’d be safe… I have two chicks with almost polish like head feathers and silkies and they don’t get bullied at all, I sold the hens that bullied my new hen so I only keep the good ones.
Think I could try that dye technique next year when I start hatching again? I just sold my rooster so I have to wait till my silkie rooster matures so it’ll be almost a year since I need to wait till it’s warm again

Attachments

• D55C739F-8DB3-41BE-BBE2-289829B10FFB.png
    D55C739F-8DB3-41BE-BBE2-289829B10FFB.png
    693.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 2ED52F56-3B82-4FAA-9638-F82E5E969CB1.png
    2ED52F56-3B82-4FAA-9638-F82E5E969CB1.png
    540.4 KB · Views: 1
The dying of the chicks is so producers can tell what breeds are what when they hatch, and so nothing gets mixed up. (Have heard rumors it's to tell the pullets form the cockerels when sexing chicks still in the egg. I don't know if that part is real though.)

As far as I know, it's safe. You just want a really small egg needle so not to have too big of a hole, and something safe to tape over the whole. I'm not sure where to do the whole, though it makes sense not to accidentally hit the air sack. That could be dangerous.

Before attempting, DO LOTS OF RESEARCH. Be sure that you are doing it right, and in the right spot. You'll always want to know where on the egg to do it, and how deep to put the needle. (You don't want to accidentally hit the chick.) If you do everything right, I think it's safe.

The dying of the chicks is so producers can tell what breeds are what when they hatch, and so nothing gets mixed up. (Have heard rumors it's to tell the pullets form the cockerels when sexing chicks still in the egg. I don't know if that part is real though.)

As far as I know, it's safe. You just want a really small egg needle so not to have too big of a hole, and something safe to tape over the whole. I'm not sure where to do the whole, though it makes sense not to accidentally hit the air sack. That could be dangerous.

Before attempting, DO LOTS OF RESEARCH. Be sure that you are doing it right, and in the right spot. You'll always want to know where on the egg to do it, and how deep to put the needle. (You don't want to accidentally hit the chick.) If you do everything right, I think it's safe.
I only plan to dye chicks who have the special colored eggs so I can tell the breeds, so not brown eggs since that could be a lot of different breeds.

I will definitely do research, I hate when my eggs die… I’ve read that you only want to put it in deep enough to break get through the shell to inject about 0.2 to 0.5 cc of dye with a sterile hypodermic needle and syringe, Use a 22 to 27 gauge needle, 3/8 to 1 inch (. 95 to 2.5 cm) long.

Back
Top Bottom