would this suffice as a run?

could i get a 6x4? it is 2 feet short of 28, (2 standards and a banty) but i would make it up to them with free ranging they free range all the time, only when i leave the house are they inside their run.

Yup,you need to atleast put some lengths of plywood along the side so they can have a area to hide from coon paws.It will pay off in the long run to wire the bottom of the kennel also.Wont cost that much only a small area.
smile.png

i would probably attatch a 4x4x4 coop from the outside so they could go and hide from coons, would that be alright? and yes, i am planning on putting wire or mesh or something on the bottom of the run

Wow I'd need a 400 square foot run. 100'x100'...yeah I wish I could fence in half an acre.
roll.png
Mine do free-range, but there are times they need to be in their house/run and they do fine.

IMO they'd be fine in a 4x6 kennel...that's 24 square feet. Add free-range time everyday and they'd be ecstatic. Look at the tractors people have...there is no way they are giving 10 square feet per bird.

yay! it wont be awhile until i move since our house isnt selling, but i already have a plan for the coop + run. i am going to have a 4x4x4 coop on the outside of a 6x4x4 run

would make it up to them with free ranging they free range all the time, only when i leave the house are they inside their run.

I know that space is borderline but as long as they are not pecking on one another then that should be just fine.

I don't know how permanent you are wanting to make this run, but I would also suggest that you bury some fencing and toe it out or else just add a 12-18" deep trench line completely under your entire run and fill with cement. That way predators can't dig under and through into your run. I agree with BeckyLA about covering the top of your run. We completely enclosed our run with bird netting sold at Lowe's for this purpose. We didn't want flying predators getting to our flock. Our run is also attached to the coop. I learned the hard way that hardware cloth is also very important to add to the bottom portion of your run. One of our BSL pullets almost died because she got stuck in it and starting having a fit. The rest of the flock did what they do naturally although barbaric by human standards....they tried to shut her up permanetely. It's times like these where learning from others mistakes are well worth listening too. I don't care if I ever hear those sounds again.

Yeah, I learned the hard way that for overnight protection that chain link keeps out very little. I wayched a weasel go right though the chain link holes! So just be sure it is predator proof.

Back
Top Bottom