Would this terrarium make a (good) chick brooder?

Chickeria

Crowing
Jan 26, 2021
Germany
Hi, I'm planning to hatch chicks.
I plan to lend an incubator from a friend.
So now I'm starting plans for a safe and appropriate brooder.
I do have a selfbuild terrarium from my tortoises when they were babies (long time ago). They now do live outside in an outdoor enclosure or are in their hibernating space since many years now but I kept the terrarium in case someone gets injured or sick or there is need for a quarantine area, which thank God never happened. Several times I thought about selling it, but perhaps I'm lucky now I didn't - looking at the terrarium I thought maybe it could be modificated as a chick brooder and wanted to ask you for your opinions.
(Please notice: the terrarium on the pictures is still set up for tortoises. I would never use the UV-lamp/neon tube for the chicks. I would not use the bedding and the stones and cork barks etc. for the chicks. The whole terrarium would be emptied and cleaned and desinfected thoroughly)

The inner dimensions of the terrarium are:
length: 1 m 37 cm = 54 inches
wide range: 65 cm = 25 inches
height: 70 cm = 27 inches

It is made of coated wood (good to clean and desinfect) and in the front are two big glass panels. Ventilation areas (perforated sheet) are on top and on front (I increased ventilation by leaving both glass panels open for about 0,4 inches if neccessary). I could change one glass panel for a frame with wirefence to have more ventilation for the chicks if this would be better.

I plan to use a brooder plate: https://brinsea.co.uk/bird-breeding-products/brooders/ecoglow-safety-600-chick-brooder/ so this would be the heat source for the chicks.
There is a ceramic bulb holder for a heat lamp on the right side in the terrarium, I could put a moderate light bulb there, perhaps covered with a little lampshade so the light would not be so harsh for them.
First week I plan to use puppy pads, afterwards wood litter or pine shavings.

Please tell me your opinions. Would the terrarium work as a chick brooder? Any advice is much appreciated ❤
RIMG1228 (2).JPG

RIMG1229 (2).JPG

RIMG1230 (2).JPG

RIMG1232 (2).JPG

RIMG1233 (2).JPG

The inner dimensions of the terrarium are:
length: 1 m 37 cm = 54 inches
wide range: 65 cm = 25 inches
height: 70 cm = 27 inches

That size would probably be fine for about 6-10 chicks. I don't know how many eggs will fit in the incubator you will use, or how many of the eggs will hatch.

I could change one glass panel for a frame with wirefence to have more ventilation for the chicks if this would be better.

Yes, that would be better.

I think your plan sounds good!

That size would probably be fine for about 6-10 chicks. I don't know how many eggs will fit in the incubator you will use, or how many of the eggs will hatch.

Yes, that would be better.

I think your plan sounds good!

Thank you for your response and opinion! The incubator can hold 40 eggs but I plan to only order 12 shipped eggs. I know they will probably not be all fertile and being shipped will probably lessen the hatching rate, too, so I guess I would be lucky if having 6 chicks?

Ok I will build a frame with wire cloth and replace one glass panel.

I plan to only order 12 shipped eggs. I know they will probably not be all fertile and being shipped will probably lessen the hatching rate, too, so I guess I would be lucky if having 6 chicks?

Probably, yes. Of course you could get anywhere from no chicks to the full 12, but I agree that having the eggs all hatch would be very unlikely if they've been shipped.

Looks awesome - I would def follow the above advice about the increased ventilation. Just keep in mind that if all 12 hatch, they are going to outgrow that brooder within a month.
Thank you! I will definitley follow your advices and increase the ventilation.
Ok I will keep that in mind. If there will be a high hatch rate I could organize a very big cardboard box or a puppy play pen where they could move in after the first month. I hope the weather here will allow them to be for a few hours in a secure run outside in the sun on the grass and earth when they have reached the appropriate age to do so on a daily base, but I know this can't be expected.

Thank you! I will definitley follow your advices and increase the ventilation.
Ok I will keep that in mind. If there will be a high hatch rate I could organize a very big cardboard box or a puppy play pen where they could move in after the first month. I hope the weather here will allow them to be for a few hours in a secure run outside in the sun on the grass and earth when they have reached the appropriate age to do so on a daily base, but I know this can't be expected.
They can start to venture out in a secure area once they are around 6 weeks and fully feathered. By the time they are ready for their outdoor coop, you won’t need any supplemental heat at all. I always try to get them out ASAP lol

They can start to venture out in a secure area once they are around 6 weeks and fully feathered. By the time they are ready for their outdoor coop, you won’t need any supplemental heat at all. I always try to get them out ASAP lol
:D At the moment I can't imagine wanting them to be out - but who knows when everything will become real and they are getting rebellious teenagers 😅

:D At the moment I can't imagine wanting them to be out - but who knows when everything will become real and they are getting rebellious teenagers 😅
Oh trust me... eventually you will be punting them out the door one by one. We are running electricity out to our shed so I never ever have to have them on my back porch again. As they grow, they get feisty AF and super messy

Oh trust me... eventually you will be punting them out the door one by one. We are running electricity out to our shed so I never ever have to have them on my back porch again. As they grow, they get feisty AF and super messy
All at once!
The dust!

First batch or two in the house are fun tho.

Back
Top Bottom