would this work as a nest box?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nariah01, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Nariah01

Nariah01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2016
    I am at the point in my coop construction where I need to put in the nest boxes and I am trying to mostly use things I have on hand already. I have an old horse feed container that is square with rounded corners that is/ would be 14inches deep, 1 foot tall, and 1 foot wide. I don't have a good picture but those are accurate measurements, would this work or be too small? In case it matters the breeds I have are rocks, orpingtons, as well as 1 sex link, 1 Wyandotte and 1 sex link.

2. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Sure. That's about the same size as the plastic milk crates lots of us have used. Enter "nesting boxes" in the search bar up there, then click on the photos that come up to the right. You'll see a bunch of them that look like what you are describing.

3. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    my nest boxes are 12"x12"x12".. they work just fine

your nesting boxes would be fine

4. Nariah01

Nariah01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2016
    Thanks guys, I just get worried sometimes being a new chicken mom and all. It will be cool to use as the whole chicken coop was made from an old shed and repurposed materials, so lots of recycled things in there and doing the same with the nest boxes would be cool. It gives it a kind of patchwork/rustic look to it. If the feed container works I will have one nest box down now I just need to find something to use for one to two more nest boxes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by