Would you cull this chick?

chicknadventure

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
southeast
Hi. Here are the facts: purchased with 3 other chicks. The other chicks are gaining weight and are vigorous and Playful. This one was always more quiet and still. I have had the for 10 days. This one has slowly wasted away and failed to thrive. But she does eat and drink. We separated her yesterday and today she actually perked up some. But developed pasty butt. Poop is dark. Has been standing with eyes half closed a lot. Just started shaking its head like its trying to shake off a bothersome fly.

If the overwhelming majority feel we should cull it could you please offer some suggestions on how? I know that cutting its head off is quickest and mast painless for the baby chick but we are just not quite there yet (no comments please we know that is something that we will have to learn eventually just didn't expect this so soon) and I don't want it to suffer anymore if the consensus is that it needs to be culled. So alternatives that are humane would be appreciated. This may sound strange but could I give it a Powdered up prescription pain pill?

Thanks in advance.

First time chick owner here too we had two that died from similar symptoms , we found a electrolyte/probiodic tablet that helped save the chicks we washed the paste bottoms cleaned , sometimes it happens I could not kill ours they just died off naturally . I have a book that says you can try feeding natural cultured yogurt plain and pedilyte plain electrolytes to see if she lives.

Hi. Here are the facts: purchased with 3 other chicks. The other chicks are gaining weight and are vigorous and Playful. This one was always more quiet and still. I have had the for 10 days. This one has slowly wasted away and failed to thrive. But she does eat and drink. We separated her yesterday and today she actually perked up some. But developed pasty butt. Poop is dark. Has been standing with eyes half closed a lot. Just started shaking its head like its trying to shake off a bothersome fly.
If the overwhelming majority feel we should cull it could you please offer some suggestions on how? I know that cutting its head off is quickest and mast painless for the baby chick but we are just not quite there yet (no comments please we know that is something that we will have to learn eventually just didn't expect this so soon) and I don't want it to suffer anymore if the consensus is that it needs to be culled. So alternatives that are humane would be appreciated. This may sound strange but could I give it a Powdered up prescription pain pill?
Thanks in advance.
Sorry the chick is sick, I had to cull one of my chicks because of a very bad cross beak and it was starving to death, I went to my 84 yr old uncle and as cruel as it sounds from what he told me was that to quickly break its neck which will kill it quick, but it will still move after because of nerves. I would give the chick every chance to make it , mabe some vitamins in the water...I'm sure other people on here will have some ideas that would help and maybe a better way to cull it...Hope it works out for you..

Im new to this, but if it seems to be doing better in a brooder by itself and is eating and drinking. Maybe you should give it more time. Have you tried a electrolyte supplement? Could be lethargic from dehydration...does she still have pasty butt? Good luck in your decision, I can imagine it is a very heart wrenching one to have to make.

I would hold off culling it and try giiving it mashed up hard boiled eggs for protein. Clean it's pasty butt with warm water and add a little apple cider vinegar to it's water. I have used Desitine (diaper rash stuff) on a pasty butt and it took care of it. I know I read on this site for humane ways to cull - I think there is a thread on it going. Good Luck, hope it starts doing better.

try and save it, give it a chance, my sister just saved a baby calf weighing 10lbs (usually 50-150 at birth) with a clef pallette. It's surviving against the odds. He's still smaller than the lab, but he's 2 weeks old now :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom