Would you eat a chicken that died through sickness, or injury?

Nothing on the internet is a reliable source, including what everyone on this thread wrote, including me. You have to do enough research to determine if it is accurate, not just rely on one source.

I will use a Wikipedia link if I'm comfortable it is accurate. Some are accurate, well written, and informative. Some are not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing on the internet is a reliable source, including what everyone on this thread wrote, including me. You have to do enough research to determine if it is accurate, not just rely on one source.

I will use a Wikipedia link if I'm comfortable it is accurate. Some are accurate, well written, and informative. Some are not.
Exactly!

I've been following this thread off and on and wanted to add my 2 cent's worth.

In a nutshell NO. I won't eat a bird that has died from disease or injury. We have too much medical training and are aware of the many pathogens that can cause death in an animal. Many can be passed to to humans especially with improper cooking, etc. As for injury I still err on the side of caution and say no. Open wounds from birds fighting and flopping around in feces laiden dirt? Think about it. And like mentioned. If it's from a predator attack, who knows where that predator has been and what bacteria are on its beak, teeth or claws?

We have chronic wasting disease in our county thanks to an idiot with a hunting preserve who brought diseased deer into his encampment and either wild deer found a way in or one of his diseased deer found a way out. The Agriculture guys went in and euthanized all the deer and elk on the property but that Genie was out of the bottle. While DH and I enjoy hunting we aren't hunting deer until the infestation dies down around us. So far it hasn't.

CWD they claim is non transmittable to humans through deer meat but ummmm....they don't want you to eat and infected animal. Like DUH! Of course this is coming from the Conservation people who are starting to admit that cougars really are making a resurgence in Missouri (they have been denying they are here up until the past couple of years). There are too many game cameras catching them on properties and too many visual sightings for them to deny their existence any longer.

So I'm going to believe these people when they tell us it's okay to eat an infected deer? I don't think so. State revenue from deer hunting is so high that they are desperately trying to stuff that cork back in the Genie bottle, ignoring the facts along the way.

There is no way I would want to take the risk. Better to put the bird down and give it a decent burial or cremation but in the end it is up to the individual. If you feel safe taking the risk, then I salute you...I disagree with you but I'll defend to the last breath your right to make your own decision concerning the subject.

Back
Top Bottom