Would you eat a chicken that died through sickness, or injury?

Road kill deer is very popular here. The 'authorities' give you the choice of keeping the meat or leaving it. Most leave it. We have a friend who is a butcher and we asked him why. He just shook his head and said that the internal damage and the damage to the meat is so bad that unless the deer is killed by a direct blow to the head it's unusable.

As for sushi. Yep, tried it. It was okay. Wouldn't want a steady diet of it mainly because of the risk of parasite infection from it. Once again. Knowing where your meat comes from and how it is handled is 2/3rds of the battle:

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/news/20170512/sushi-lovers-warned-about-parasites

Road kill deer is very popular here. The 'authorities' give you the choice of keeping the meat or leaving it. Most leave it. We have a friend who is a butcher and we asked him why. He just shook his head and said that the internal damage and the damage to the meat is so bad that unless the deer is killed by a direct blow to the head it's unusable.

As for sushi. Yep, tried it. It was okay. Wouldn't want a steady diet of it mainly because of the risk of parasite infection from it. Once again. Knowing where your meat comes from and how it is handled is 2/3rds of the battle:

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/news/20170512/sushi-lovers-warned-about-parasites
Micro I am a sushi lover and consumed it now for more than forty years. I do take care on which restaurant I use.... and there are only two that I have used in the recent past... Local and Very Well trained.

That being said I pick and choose my sushi carefully. Only cooked on one end like Shrimp and Eel.... Or preserved on another Like Mackerel which is VERY preserved in vinegar. I rarely eat the red meat sushi....

But I have to premise it to say Sushi is actually the name of the rice And there are quite a few vegetarian dishes.

I mostly eat Yellow-tail which is in the mackerel family and yes raw... or Soft shell crab which is Cooked and put in a roll... Or California Roll which is made with actually cooked crab meat. Smoked salmon on occasion...

I do eat uni... Which is Sea urchin and served up raw... Eel.. As well as Oysters... Yes I know there may be cross contamination... But Like I said I am careful where I get my sushi...

deb

Contrary to what high school teachers may tell you, Wikipedia today is so well staffed and references verified, it is considered one of the most reliable references online.
I have dealt with wikipedia about this and they are not policing bad information that is posted and they told me that anyone can edit the information as long as you register there. I guarantee you that wikipedia should never be considered a reliable source.

We can keep a road kill deer here if we want. Just need to get a $5 permit to keep the meat. We have salvaged a few. They were fresh (just killed, and at least one was hit by us), no internal organ damage and not much damaged meat. We would not eat one that had been busted up internally. I don't know that one could possibly get all that out of the meat.

As for sushi... :sick I just can't make myself eat raw meat.

We can keep a road kill deer here if we want. Just need to get a $5 permit to keep the meat. We have salvaged a few. They were fresh (just killed, and at least one was hit by us), no internal organ damage and not much damaged meat. We would not eat one that had been busted up internally. I don't know that one could possibly get all that out of the meat.

As for sushi... :sick I just can't make myself eat raw meat.
I've eaten raw meat a few times. Steak tartar in France; wasn't very keen on that. I've tried raw Yak in Nepal which was quite tasty. They marinate it in stuff which goes a long way to hide the rawness.
Road kill wild boar here gets eaten a lot by the locals, cooked I might add.:)
I don't have a problem with eating recently killed animals no matter what killed them.
There are occasions when it is obviously unwise, ruptured intestines liver and kidneys would steer me away even though I would probably be fine provided the meat was cooked properly.

Back
Top Bottom