Would you euthanize this chicken??

pashamsher

Hatching
Jun 24, 2016
Hi, all,

A week ago we found our buff orpington separating herself from the flock, and she had something hanging out of her vent. It looked like the google images of a prolapsed uterus, although it was black and not flesh-colored. We were unsuccessful at reinserting it, so we cleaned her up as best we could and put her in a dog crate. The black thing has since disappeared, and a week later this chicken is eating, drinking, and pooping. However, her keel bone is very prominent indicating she is not really well (I think?). I let her out with the other chickens a few hours a day and she does not interact like she normally does, and one of our hens seems intent on bullying her. Her comb is still red.

The issue is--we leave tonight for a 6-day vacation, and we don't have anyone who can monitor her in the dog crate. Unsure whether we just put her back in with the rest of the flock and see what happens when we get home or euthanize her as we had planned. I wouldn't feel so conflicted if I hadn't witnessed her eating and drinking today!

Thanks for any perspective.

Hi, all,

A week ago we found our buff orpington separating herself from the flock, and she had something hanging out of her vent. It looked like the google images of a prolapsed uterus, although it was black and not flesh-colored. We were unsuccessful at reinserting it, so we cleaned her up as best we could and put her in a dog crate. The black thing has since disappeared, and a week later this chicken is eating, drinking, and pooping. However, her keel bone is very prominent indicating she is not really well (I think?). I let her out with the other chickens a few hours a day and she does not interact like she normally does, and one of our hens seems intent on bullying her. Her comb is still red. 

The issue is--we leave tonight for a 6-day vacation, and we don't have anyone  who can monitor her in the dog crate. Unsure whether we just put her back in with the rest of the flock and see what happens when we get home or euthanize her as we had planned. I wouldn't feel so conflicted if I hadn't witnessed her eating and drinking today!

You don't have any one who can take her?then,keep her in the dog create,and put a lot of food and water,I hope she'll be ok

Hi, all,

The issue is--we leave tonight for a 6-day vacation, and we don't have anyone who can monitor her in the dog crate. Unsure whether we just put her back in with the rest of the flock and see what happens when we get home or euthanize her as we had planned. I wouldn't feel so conflicted if I hadn't witnessed her eating and drinking today!

This is my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in.
Being in a dog crate un-monitored for 6days, even if she has food/water is unkind.

If you put her back with the flock they will most likely kill her.

It's very sad, but if you are unable to take care of her or don't have a responsible person who will step up and take care of her while you are away, the kindest thing would be to cull her.

Do you have someone coming to take care of the rest of your flock? What steps have you taken for their care?

I'd euthanize her. Unless you want to board her at a veterinary clinic.

Thanks for your input. I went back out to check on her a few hours ago and she was laying in the grass, a sure sign of weakness. So, I supposed she gave me her answer herself. We had her put down at the animal shelter. Yes, the other birds will have the neighbor checking in on them and gathering eggs. Alls well.

Back
Top Bottom