Would you feed this to your chicken?

I've seen grubs that big in trees that we've harvested for firewood. Just freakin huge! As long as my index finger and almost as big around. Yep, chickens love them. I even saw one of my Fayoumi hens running around with a huge hornworm that she found on one of my tomato plants. I always thought they would avoid those as they 'tasted bad' to birds but nope. She gleefully beat it into submission and then downed it like a big hot dog.

I've put pieces of wood that has been infiltrated with ants in their run also. They love to pick through the wood.

As for the composted dirt you found in your tree, I've mixed that with potting soil and planted flowers in it. They loved it also! It must be nutrient rich.

I've seen grubs that big in trees that we've harvested for firewood. Just freakin huge! As long as my index finger and almost as big around. Yep, chickens love them. I even saw one of my Fayoumi hens running around with a huge hornworm that she found on one of my tomato plants. I always thought they would avoid those as they 'tasted bad' to birds but nope. She gleefully beat it into submission and then downed it like a big hot dog.

I've put pieces of wood that has been infiltrated with ants in their run also. They love to pick through the wood.

As for the composted dirt you found in your tree, I've mixed that with potting soil and planted flowers in it. They loved it also! It must be nutrient rich.
We dont get many tomato worms but our folks do. They put them in containers for our birds to have as a treat

Some did. Since the old oak tree was dying we decided to take it down since a lot of it hung over the house and we were concerned if we had a big storm some might land on the house. We had one big limb come down and took down our power line.
2015-05-06 16.29.53.jpg

I came across this.

Yep! Flat head borers There are Flat Head Borers that attack fruit trees, oaks, pines, etc. all over. The get into a dead log that still has bark and feed under the bark until they get of size. Then they turn and start drilling int the log. You can hear them in a wood pile from 50 or 60 feet away. The gnawing takes them about 6 inches deep where they turn the chamber in a "J" shape and pupate. Behind them is left an oval hole that is filled with "frass". The frass is a tooth pick looking shavings that fills the hole behind them.

When they leave the hole as a beetle, the hole will be made round and the frass will disappear.

The Southern Pine Sawyer is one of the Flat Head Borers. He matures into a grey beetle with long antennae that curl back over his head. You will see them a lot when you work around a pine log yard.

Two that attack oaks are the Red Oak Borer and the White Oak Borer. Both are Round head borers but do pretty much the same damage as a flat head borer. Their entry holes are usually round and filled with frass.

Back
Top Bottom