Would you rebuild this shed or start from scratch? (Image heavy)

nico demouse

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 10, 2010
Chicagoland
I am trying to decide whether to rebuild/retrofit an existing shed or start from scratch. The shed is pretty rough, not even remotely secure or predator proof right now. I expect we might need to strip off the plywood exterior but maybe the studs and floor are okay?

Here's some info on our situation:

Suburban lot (1/3 acre)
Chicagoland area, so cold winters and hot summers
We'd be keeping 8 layers, maximum. No roosters allowed.
I have seen raccoons, possums, and fox in the yard/neighborhood. There are coyote in the area, although I have not seen them. There are also field mice or voles, not sure which. And the usual squirrels and chipmunks, but I don't think they usually cause problems, do they?
There is a 8 foot privacy fence around most of the yard, but two sections are open picket, so I'm sure anything could get through that that wanted too.

Although it *looks* like there is electrical hookup, as near as I can tell the project was never finished and that light socket is not live. Nor are the floods on the back.

The shed doors face south, so in the first picture you are looking towards the north.

Okay, here are the pictures:

48746_dsc02357.jpg

48746_dsc02358.jpg

48746_dsc02359.jpg

48746_dsc02360.jpg

48746_dsc02361.jpg

48746_dsc02362.jpg

48746_dsc02363.jpg

48746_dsc02364.jpg

48746_dsc02365.jpg

48746_dsc02366.jpg

Our budget is small -- maybe $300? So we need to keep things basic, but neat enough to not bother the neighbors. Umm...I mean, they haven't been bothered by the ugly shed that we know, but...

I have a strong preference for reusing and repurposing as much as we can.

I have access to a couple (less than 5) pallets and some scrap plywood and 2x4s and the like for some of the supplies. I also have a bundle or two of shingles left over from roofing our house. Obviously I will also need to buy some (a lot!) things new.

Would you try to rebuild this shed? Or just design something from scratch? In my dreams, I'd love to convert half the shed to space for chickens and then use the other half someday for a trio of rabbits? I don't know if that's even reasonable.

Any suggestions or ideas appreciated.

Last edited:
That looks very workable to me. I'd just remove the most damaged and rotten parts. How are the floor and the supports below? For much less than it would take to build a new structure, you could make this structure last for many more years.

Oh yes, absolutely! We renovated from something much more decrepit than that. Just look at my BYC page. I have more pics in some thread around here somewhere showing before and after. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Looks terrific, and that's coming from a General Contractor.
I had an old outhouse that had been sitting, unused for over 20 years. I put a new door in it, cut a small door for the chickens at the bottom, put a couple roosts (tree limbs), and they love it!
The small door for the chickens leads to a run I built with all reused lumber, it's about 5x20, with corrugated roofing, and a 6' tall door.
Trust me, your shed looks way prettier than mine, but mine is still solid and sound. It's for livestock for crying out loud lol. I was aiming more for function than prettiness. The only thing I had to purchase was a roll of poultry netting and 3 bags of concrete for the posts of the run.
That shed of yours could house quite a flock!
Agree with adding a couple windows on the South side, a vent or two, and getting rid of any dry rot/ structurally unsound wood.

Edit: after looking at the pics again, I'd place one window in each door, up high, even 18x18 or so, and another window in the north side. Heck, even a skylight would work good on that roof. one roof vent should suffice for venting purposes. The windows in the doors, if you could make them convertible to a strong wire opening for the summer would be sweet.

Last edited:
I would fix it up in a heart beat. Replace the rotten boards, add windows & vents, nest boxes, perch, food & water, paint and shingles
You're good to go!! Oh, well almost! Don't forget the chickies!
loveshower.gif
I think this will make a great coop.

Back
Top Bottom