Would you recommend hatching in an egg carton?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LadyShred, Apr 12, 2009.

1. LadyShred

LadyShred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    Hi guys. Today is day 16 for 23 of 29 eggs in my bator. Last time I tried to hatch I just left them on the grate and let them roll around to hatch. It bothered me a lot - I feel like many chicks did not hatch because they could not get a good pushing position. Sooo . . . this time I'm thinking about setting them in an egg carton and letting them pip and zip that way.

Anyone agree or disagree? Any better ideas?

Thanks
    ~Stevie

2. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I have had much better hatch rates using egg cartons than not. I did have one chick who pipped at the bottom of the shell, but that seems to have been where the air cell was. It was the end of the hatch, and I was pulling out the few eggs that didn't hatch, to toss them. When I picked that one out of the carton, it peeped like crazy at me! I nearly dropped it, it startled me so! Anyway, I helped that chick out (he was half dry already, and READY to get out), and he was fine.

3. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I have done it both ways and I seemed to have the same results. So I guess what ever you prefer. Don't use cardboard cartons though because they will soak up water. Maybe you could experiment and do half in cartons and half on the grate. You also could put some kind of rings around the eggs so they won't roll around too much.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's the only way I hatch anymore. I use paper cartons and haven't had any trouble with them soaking up the water and getting wet. My hatch rates are much better with the cartons than without.....plus clean-up is easier!

5. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I hatch in egg cartons, and I prefer it. I can't stand the eggs getting rolled around-it stresses me to no end. I don't have that problem with egg cartons, and I find it is a much cleaner hatch also. Just the way I like to do it............Different people have different opinions on this. [​IMG]

Paula

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Used them once, I'm gonna use them again... but I'm going from cardboard to foam this time.

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I hatch in cartons or use the LG or Hova turner trays to hold
    the eggs in an upright position.

You are gonna get strong opinions on this subject. I tried it
    both ways in the same bator with the same eggs and had a
    much higher hatch rate with cartons.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I do it!
    [​IMG]

9. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    If you hatch in an egg carton is there any reason not to hatch in the same trays we set the eggs in on the Sportsman. You know those plastic 48 slot universal incubating trays? I have been told that with shipped eggs and somewhat tremulent cells that if I hatch with the cell up I should have better success.

I am considering leaving them in the trays.

Anyone had bad experience with this?

10. LadyShred

LadyShred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks guys. ^_^ I do have an auto-egg turner, but I didn't want that to get dirty and sticky in the hatching process. Egg cartons are disposable, so . . . I'm a simple kind of girl!

Just want my babies to be as comfortable as I can get them [​IMG]

And that pic is adorable, Ewesheep! I am 100% convinced!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by