Would you say geese are easier to look after than a dog?

The oldest goose in the Guinness Book of World Records said the oldest ever goose was 49 and 8 months when he passed

From The Book of Geese by Dave Holderread.-

" With a lifespan of fifteen to twenty years being fairly common, geese can be expected to outlive other types of fowl.( While difficult to document, there are reports of geese living 100 years" :eek:

From The Book of Geese by Dave Holderread.-

" With a lifespan of fifteen to twenty years being fairly common, geese can be expected to outlive other types of fowl.( While difficult to document, there are reports of geese living 100 years" :eek:
Yes I have that book, haha I'm pretty sure it's unlikely though

Yes I have that book, haha I'm pretty sure it's unlikely though
Sorry, I didn't mean to be a party pooper or any ugliness if it came out that way. I have a tendency to talk to everyone as though they are my friend not realizing that words coming from a stranger can seem much harsher. :oops:

Actually, I understand the desire to have a pet that isn't too high maintenance but still very entertaining when you're free. It's good to have something to connect with a little. And I think more than that, with the right set up and situation, it can truly be therapeutic.. which most folks could use a little. :)

Sounds like you might actually have some specific interest in geese and that's not just random animal you picked?? Sometimes whether a particular species is harder to care for or not... depends on YOUR level of pay off. ;)

My dogs are fairly easy to look after... now that they're grown and fairly trained. I used an auto feeder and water inside the dining room and they go out the doggy door to poop. I decided I could teach other behaviors if I wasn't willing to walk the dogs... like fetch, frisbee, swimming, hide & seek, etc. Oh ya, they can use a treadmill too. Not that I'm recommending a dog.. I'm just sharing.

I have guinea pigs, but consider them high maintenance and cost, but oh so funny! (just since someone suggested them)

Is there a specific breed you are interested in getting? :pop

Also to answer your question...

I can't say that it's really "easier" to keep geese than a dog. It's like comparing apples to oranges. There are similarities you have when being responsible for any animal (food, shelter, health) but it's a completely different relationship and specifics.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be a party pooper or any ugliness if it came out that way. I have a tendency to talk to everyone as though they are my friend not realizing that words coming from a stranger can seem much harsher. :oops:

Actually, I understand the desire to have a pet that isn't too high maintenance but still very entertaining when you're free. It's good to have something to connect with a little. And I think more than that, with the right set up and situation, it can truly be therapeutic.. which most folks could use a little. :)

Sounds like you might actually have some specific interest in geese and that's not just random animal you picked?? Sometimes whether a particular species is harder to care for or not... depends on YOUR level of pay off. ;)

My dogs are fairly easy to look after... now that they're grown and fairly trained. I used an auto feeder and water inside the dining room and they go out the doggy door to poop. I decided I could teach other behaviors if I wasn't willing to walk the dogs... like fetch, frisbee, swimming, hide & seek, etc. Oh ya, they can use a treadmill too. Not that I'm recommending a dog.. I'm just sharing.

I have guinea pigs, but consider them high maintenance and cost, but oh so funny! (just since someone suggested them)

Is there a specific breed you are interested in getting? :pop
Oh don't worry, i took it all in good humour, no worries... I actually have a breeder I can get exhibition Toulouse from so I'll be going with them

I'd say it depends on the setup - and your own mindset. I spend hours with my two geese every day, but none of it feels like work because I love it. I find myself enjoying freezing my a.. off for an hour in a huge puddle in the middle of a stormy field - because the geese are happy as clams!
Happy to hear I'm not the only crazy lady bundled up sitting outside watching my flock...no matter the weather 😂

Back
Top Bottom