Wound on 12 week old pullet's head

RubyLady

Songster
Jun 21, 2021
We have 5 older hens (1.5-3 years old) and 5 twelve week old pullets hatched by one of the 1.5 year old hens. Our rooster died 10 weeks ago and today we brought home a new young rooster about 15 weeks old.

He is generally very gentle. He's been handled a lot and treated as a pet until now along with a small backyard flock and when I got him today, I was able to hold him easily and he was very sweet.

Even though he was in a cage, my older hen challenged him and he did not back down. They had it out separated by the bars. She walked away eventually. I moved him to the enclosed pen where the coop is. That pen also opens to a fenced area with a little door that is open during the day. While the older ones were roaming around the yard and the young pullets were in the pen, he managed to get out of his cage while I was changing his water (he kept knocking it over and it's 95 degrees out). The pullets weren't at all afraid of him and he just hung out with them, eating and exploring. So far no problem.

Two of the pullets can fly out and were free-ranging with the 5 older hens. Bob and 3 pullets were still in the pens.

As it was getting dark, about an hour later, my husband noticed a huge wound on the back of a pullet's head - one of the ones that had flown out. (Photos below) It was so fresh when he showed me, I hesitated to think it was from the rooster because she wasn't with him for at least the last half hour or hour.

A few weeks ago, one of the two golden comets (this is one of them) had a small gash on her head that was bloody but it was more like a peck not a wound like this. We have a mean spirited banty that I think did that. I'm wondering -

1) do you think the banty could have made such a large wound or do you think it was more likely the rooster?

2) I've never used BlueKote. Is that a good idea to get and use?

3) should we separate her in a cage to heal tomorrow or let her wander with the rest of them? (They've gone to sleep now.)

Thank you for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG-8553.JPG
    IMG-8553.JPG
    536.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-8554.JPG
    IMG-8554.JPG
    560.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-8555.JPG
    IMG-8555.JPG
    556.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-8556.JPG
    IMG-8556.JPG
    524.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-8557.JPG
    IMG-8557.JPG
    477.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-8558.JPG
    IMG-8558.JPG
    497.7 KB · Views: 3
Hard to know who did that damage, but if she had a little wound not too long ago in the same spot, I think its likely your banty did that.

That wound isn't terribly bad, I'd just get it cleaned up and apply neosporin a few times a day.
You'll want to separate her from everyone until her wounds heal up, it may take a bit. Also make sure no flies get to her, as they could lay eggs on her wound and cause fly strike, which is quite deadly.

Hard to know who did that damage, but if she had a little wound not too long ago in the same spot, I think its likely your banty did that.

That wound isn't terribly bad, I'd just get it cleaned up and apply neosporin a few times a day.
You'll want to separate her from everyone until her wounds heal up, it may take a bit. Also make sure no flies get to her, as they could lay eggs on her wound and cause fly strike, which is quite deadly.
Thank you. They're asleep now so I'll have to do it in the morning. I have Neosporin but I heard BlueKote keeps flies off. Do you know anything about that? We have a lot of flies around the yard right now.

Thank you. They're asleep now so I'll have to do it in the morning. I have Neosporin but I heard BlueKote keeps flies off. Do you know anything about that? We have a lot of flies around the yard right now.
From what I know I don't think bluekote will keep flies off, I could be wrong though. But it wouldn't hurt to apply it.
To be on the safe side I'd keep her inside in a dog crate.

From what I know I don't think bluekote will keep flies off, I could be wrong though. But it wouldn't hurt to apply it.
To be on the safe side I'd keep her inside in a dog crate.
Thanks. I have a small dog wire cage she can stay in in the mudroom and we can cover it with a sheet at night. She is still active and eating like nothing is wrong. But I want to prevent more pecking and flies as well as let her heal.

Thanks. I have a small dog wire cage she can stay in in the mudroom and we can cover it with a sheet at night. She is still active and eating like nothing is wrong. But I want to prevent more pecking and flies as well as let her heal.
Alright, sounds good!

Alright, sounds good!
Well, now my husband says we shouldn't separate her from the flock and make re-entry worse for her and leave her out there in the cage, so I have to figure out how to keep the flies off her while she heals in a cage outside. Oh dear.

Well, now my husband says we shouldn't separate her from the flock and make re-entry worse for her and leave her out there in the cage, so I have to figure out how to keep the flies off her while she heals in a cage outside. Oh dear.
Ah...well, you're husband is absolutely right about having trouble integrating her back into the flock.
I'm not sure how to keep the flies away without covering the cage...

Ah...well, you're husband is absolutely right about having trouble integrating her back into the flock.
I'm not sure how to keep the flies away without covering the cage...
Well, I got up early and ended up bringing her in the house after I put some Neosporin on it out in the coop. She was happy and fine out with the others, but my main worry is flies. And if I don't put something blue on it, I worry someone will start pecking at it. So maybe I can get that sorted out today and send her back out in a couple of days if it's starting to heal. Thanks for listening. :)

Back
Top Bottom