Wound under wing - do I need to separate?

Wuick

Chirping
Jul 9, 2019
Coeur d’ Alene, ID
Hello all,
I have a 10 week old Bielefelder hen who got caught in some wire and tore her skin under her right wing to the point where it was fairly bloody. She is limping on her right leg and sitting more than standing but she seems perky and alert, just a little sore.
My question is this, if her wound is hidden under her wing can I put her back with the flock and just take her in to clean and disinfect a couple times a day? Or is it best to isolate her until the wound is fully healed. She is not super high up on the pecking order and I would hate for her to lose her place.
My chickens have a run but are let out for a few hours every day to free range. Not sure if that is relevant, but there it is.

Thank you for your help and advice!

I personally prefer to not ever fully separate chickens if possible - any time medical isolation is necessary I isolate them in the run so they can still see the flock and vice versa (obviously if you're treating for something serious, that may not be an option). If the wound isn't bad she'll probably heal up without too many issues.

I apologize for the quality of the photo. I would take another but I have already washed, treated and covered with an ointment that is obscuring it. No painkillers.

Attachments

• 93461D7C-CB3D-4888-AA28-346908FC4703.jpeg
    93461D7C-CB3D-4888-AA28-346908FC4703.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 6
Thanks like I said wash that out betadine or even mild dish soap soft cloth generic triple antibiotic can even be bought at a dollar store

Is the wound visible? You said that it was under her wing. If it isn’t visible I would leave her with her friends. Watch and if anyone gives her grief could you just separate her using wire dog kennel or even some fencing so she isn’t lonely or lose her place in the flock?
I just put her out with the rest of them and the wound is fully concealed by her wing. I will keep an eye on them and make sure no one sees and picks at it. She’s pretty happy to be out of confinement and actually ran to the flock so she must be feeling alright.

Back
Top Bottom