Wounded Comb...

LCMeadows

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
NW Ontario
I came home to an injured hen today, (her comb was torn, they are free ranged during the day and have access to their pen and coop so I am not sure if a raven got at it originally) normally they all get along fine but when I put her in the coop, my usually skittish Wellsummer hen went after her (likely due to her comb being injured) so I don't know what to do. I don't really have a place to keep her separated from the flock. Well I DO but I am not sure I want to do that at this point unless it is completely needed. She is not critically injured.

I am already thinking of rehoming my Brahma R]roo that was SUPPOSED to be hen, he went after after my son pretty badly a few nights ago and that is why I really didn't want a rooster to begin with. Can roo's inflict this sort of injury from attempted breedings as he has been mounting the hens? Should I sell the Wellsummer, too?

Hello & welcome! Yes - roos' can do significant damage to hens (& people). Put some Blukote or similar on the wounded area to decrease the attraction for your Welsummer. The Welsummer is simply doing what comes naturally, she will become less interested over time. However, if she is constantly picking at your injured hen, you may have to move the 'patient' to a quiet area for a few days to let the wound heal over.
Good luck - sell the roo!

I agree with the post above. There are two options for a rooster which attacks small children - rehome it to where it won't come into contact with children again, or put it in the soup pot.

It's important to note that not all roosters will behave in this way either. Some are a delight to have around, looking after their girls and also interacting with people quite well. So you can still have a rooster in your flock - just not that one!

As far as your injured hen goes, if other chickens can see or smell blood, they will probably go after it. I understand that you don't want to separate her, but the others can do an awful lot of damage to her in a very short period of time when you aren't looking - and you don't want to put her through that.

I would recommend that you treat and clean the wounds as best as you can, and then isolate her in 'chicken hospital' for a few days to allow her to recover. She should have a smooth transition back into the flock if you isolate her in such a way that they can still see her, but can't touch her.

Krista

Thank you! I have isolated her and cleaned her up, she looks ok so far...The rooster is going for sure. Likely into my freezer :) Evidently there are all sorts of flashy breeds for sale in our neighbourhood that aren't selling :(

Back
Top Bottom